Need a crash course in wiring. 78 GS750E

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Need a crash course in wiring. 78 GS750E

My bike's previous owner hacked the harness bad so I've begun removing the harness. I purchased a used one from ebay, but so far I have no idea if it's the right one. I do not understand wiring diagrams at all and need help figuring out if what I got will even work?

The bike is a 1978 GS750E. Here's a picture of the harness, not sure if you can tell from this if it's correct? When looking at this diagram https://postimg.org/image/j21xcxu7j/, how can you tell what connectors go to what group of wires?

I am so frustrated and have no idea where to go from here.

image2.jpg

More images here: http://imgur.com/a/4OAPz

When you bought your replacement harness, was it advertised as fitting your bike? Not that all sellers describe their wares perfectly or even accurately, but that would be a good place to start.

What goes where? Believe it or not, any connector is rather unique it its particular area. For example, let's just say there is a 6-pin connector in the headlight bucket. There will only be ONE 6-pin connector, unless there is another one of a different color. Once you get down to individual, single bullet (or spade) connectors, just match the wire colors, as Suzuki was pretty good at keeping the same color wire for individual functions through the years.

Just compare the harnesses BEFORE you get the original one pulled off the bike. Take LOTS of pictures or make diagrams that show where the different connectors go, and download a factory manual for your bike, it has wire harness routing pictures (look at pdf page 156).

sigpic
    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
    Family Portrait
    Siblings and Spouses
    Mom's first ride
    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

The main thing is the color coding. The image you posted has been colored in by someone. Assuming they did it correctly and you bought a harness from the same year as your bike the colors should match up the the torn up harness. It looks like connectors are indicated by the rectangles (probably square connectors) and the rectangles with triangles on one end are bullet connectors.

What else don't you understand?
      1980 GS550L

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
        When you bought your replacement harness, was it advertised as fitting your bike? Not that all sellers describe their wares perfectly or even accurately, but that would be a good place to start.
        Here's the link to the harness I bought: http://www.ebay.com/itm/252471878822...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Comment

Working...
        X