Strange Charging Happening

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Strange Charging Happening

First post on the forum and boy is it a long one.
    So I have been chasing my tail on my '81 GS650E trying to find out why she wouldn't charge. So far I have installed a new battery, R/R and stater. Well, after chasing out some gremlins in the wiring I got her to finally fire up again. Only to find that my battery is charging, backwards. Sitting at idle I'm getting 13.6v, 2500rpm is 12.9v - 13.2v, 5000rpm is 12.6v. Once returned to idle the voltage jumps right back to 13.6v. Now as for the parts installed, the stater is a new caltric unit from eBay. I counted the poles and yes it has the same number as the old unit. I did run through the stater test again on the new unit today and found that one leg was only getting 26.7vac at 5000rpm while the others are in the 80's. So that's one issue I guess. The R/R is a ricks motor sports unit from bike bandit. Now running the readings on it from the stater papers, I'm getting no readings going red lead to red(+) as well as black lead to black(-). but red lead to black(-) and black lead to red(+) i get around .497 on all leads from the R/R. Those are the same readings I got on my old unit. So did I just get a bad R/R? or is there something I'm missing? Any and all ideas are welcome!

It sounds like bad connections. See gs charging system health.

Comment

Yep, follow the tutorial that posplayr mentions. You will find it in his signature.

If you did get a bad R/R, you will definitely need a new one, but either way, you will probably want a new one. The one you should have gotten would be an SH775 by Shindengen. It is commonly found on Polaris Razr vehicles in the last few years. There are a few posts about where to find one. New ones can be found anywhere from about $60 and up (they are about $95 at the dealer), used ones can be found on eBay for about $45.

sigpic
      mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
      hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
      #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
      #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
      Family Portrait
      Siblings and Spouses
      Mom's first ride
      Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
      (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

So I just got done pulling the new parts back off and now I'm hunting down the R/R you mentioned Steve. As for the connections, I've gone over every connection i could find and checked that it wasn't fried, was still solid, and dielectric greased them. Is there anything else I could be missing?

Comment

So as I've been digging for the last few hours on the forum. I came across a post about the DB electric SH775 RR's and well, I'm wondering if anyone has had the chance to test them out to see if they perform as well as OEM units or not?

Comment

Never heard of it.

Comment

Originally posted by posplayr View Post
              Never heard of it.
              These are, I believe anyways, the ones that you actually referenced an e-mail exchange asking if they were genuine OEM or not and they just said they were aftermarket.
              I might be able to dig up the thread if it would help clear up any questions.

Comment

Please do. .......

Comment

pos, I think these are the ones that you confirmed to be Chinese knock-offs of the beloved sh775, and I think we came to the determination that they were shunts, not series. but I can't recall for sure that we verified if they were a shunt or series r/r.

Comment

bushy, is this the thread you're talking about?

Comment

Originally posted by 60ratrod View Post
                      pos, I think these are the ones that you confirmed to be Chinese knock-offs of the beloved sh775, and I think we came to the determination that they were shunts, not series. but I can't recall for sure that we verified if they were a shunt or series r/r.
                      Cowboyup just got one of them. I will go over there to test it to see if it is a shunt or a series unit.

sigpic
                      mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                      hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                      #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                      #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                      Family Portrait
                      Siblings and Spouses
                      Mom's first ride
                      Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                      (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...light=posplayr
                        Seems to be pretty clear knockoff; vendor conformed it.

Comment

http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...light=posplayr
                          Yes! thank you! I would have been digging around for hours looking for it.

Comment

No problem buddy. I knew which one you were looking for when you brought it up

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
                              Cowboyup just got one of them. I will go over there to test it to see if it is a shunt or a series unit.

That is most appreciated!

Comment

Working...
                              X