No announcement yet.

Strange Charging Happening

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

how can you tell the difference? does it charge differently?

Comment

Originally posted by 60ratrod View Post
      how can you tell the difference? does it charge differently?
      A clamp-on ammeter tells the story. A shunt r/r will divert the current back into the windings and the overall current reading remains the same. A series one will simply stop the output dead when loads are satisfied (very fast stop/start) and this leads to a lower overall current reading, as none is being shunted back.
      ---- Dave

Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist sticks his head out of a car window

Comment

so I pulled the trigger on an SH775 OEM unit from polaris. Along with another new stater. Now I've been trying to dig around to find a wiring diagram for installing this upgrade. Anybody have a lead on an easy to read diagram?

Comment

It's so easy, (skip the caveman jokes) you don't even need a diagram.

- Install new stator.
          - Remove current R/R, note the location of the red output wire.
          - Install new R/R. I don't know exactly where yours is, you might have to get 'creative'.
          - One of the connectors on the new R/R has three pins, the other connector has two. Connect the three stator wires directly to the three pins.
          - In the connector with just two pins, the one closer to the stator inputs is the positive. Connect that to the red wire that was connected to the old R/R.
          - Connect the remaining terminal to a good ground. If you are using a Single Point Ground, put it there.
          - Get out your voltmeter, fire up the bike, verify everything is working properly.

sigpic
          mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
          hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
          #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
          #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
          Family Portrait
          Siblings and Spouses
          Mom's first ride
          Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
          (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Steve and I confirmed tonight that the R/R from DB Electric is NOT a Series model; I would recommend not getting it.
            Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
            1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
            2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
            Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
            and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

Originally posted by cowboyup3371 View Post
              Steve and I confirmed tonight that the R/R from DB Electric is NOT a Series model; I would recommend not getting it.

Comment

Working...
              X