1985 GS700 Charging System

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1985 GS700 Charging System

Let me start off by saying that I have read, and am following the stator papers to diagnose my charging system. My issue stems from Phase B (Stator Tests). I'm stumped as to how to test the wires coming from the stator without removing the cover. There are two separate bundles of wire coming from where the stator is, but I can't quite follow them under the tank, and I don't know which is from the stator. Should I remove the tank to get a better look? Any suggestions?
    I have very little experience with electrical, so please humor me if this is beyond simple.

There are 3 wires coming from stator that likely travel thru starter motor cover and head up to the R/R (rectifier/regulator).
    have you seen this Basscliff http://members.dslextreme.com/users/...ator_check.pdf

remember to disconnect the 3 wires from the r/r. When you are doing the AC 5000 rpm test lead to lead, also check any one lead to a good ground - voltage here should be at zero or close to zero hinting that stator is insulated from ground.
    1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Thank you, I have not seen that particular document before. So I have 5 wires emerging from my R/R, three of which are yellow (the others are black/white and blue I believe). Is it safe to assume the three yellows are from my stator? I can just disconnect them, and test the resistance between the wires at those ends, correct? Thanks for the help!

Comment

Originally posted by tom203 View Post
        remember to disconnect the 3 wires from the r/r. When you are doing the AC 5000 rpm test lead to lead, also check any one lead to a good ground - voltage here should be at zero or close to zero hinting that stator is insulated from ground.
        Yes that is missing from that guide.

Comment

Be brave and follow those 3 yellows back to their origin- remove battery or other stuff to see where they go. I'll bet they head inside starter motor cavity. If so, go ahead and test, but it's quite common for one stator wire to drift off into harness.
          Sure, check resistances, but the running AC voltage test is more conclusive, especially when you also check one lead to ground as I mentioned before.
          1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Thanks, will do!

Comment

Working...
            X