No announcement yet.

GS300L, new stator, not holding charge

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I checked the stator-to-ground when the bike first quit on me in the gas station parking lot, before I ever knew the quick test was on here - I just set the meter to ohms to check the stator-to-ground issue. It doesn't stay shorted to ground, just intermittent.

Everything else I've done as you said, except for the stator-to-ground voltage while running.

Comment

Your reported ac readings are odd, so as I said before....

"let's start over.. Forget the quick test . disconnect stator from r/r and check ac voltage stator lead to stator lead. First check your meter on house outlet. Get bike running using the non running suv battery if needed. At 4000rpm, measure ac stator lead to stator lead. Then ,while still running,check one stator lead to good bike ground and let us know."

meters are easily damaged, so make sure you check yours. We need to find out if stator is OK, before we move on. It's vital to rule things out step by step.
      1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Meter is definitely off - set to the 200VAC range, the house wiring went off the chart. My once 10.4V battery now shows 12.7V. I'll button the meter back together and see what I get on the stator. DC readings are about 20% high, so best I can do with this meter is deduct 20% from what I get. Not exactly scientific, I know.

Comment

Between the stator wires shows same as before. 175-185VAC. Stator-to-ground was 2.6VAC.

Comment

Your meter is no good- don't waste time making allowances/adjustments to it. Just get another ,$10 units work fine.
            1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Little update - I ordered a new three-phase RR from DB Electrical. I got it on today, and after the initial coughing/gagging/sputtering fit it threw while the battery built a charge, everything seemed to fall back in order. Had to roll start it this evening on it's maiden voyage, and it tried shutting off a couple times and the lights flickered a few times as well. Gave it a leisurely putt alongside the mountain I live on, and flogged it a big once I got to bigger roads. Got home, shut down, and about an hour later it still fires up just fine.

If all is well with the wiring now, I just need to relocate the bigger RR to the inside of that rail it's bolted to now... the side cover tries to pop off. :/

Comment

Working...
              X