Swapping ignition coils

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Swapping ignition coils

My 80 gs1100e coils are out for now and I have coils off of a 90s model katana 600 the primary sides are testing good (about 3ohms) and the secondary side is testing about 37K which from what I've read is good for these particular ones (Between 25k and 40k). My question is will these be ok to swap until I can get a replacement for the original. I believe the plug caps from the katana have a resistor in them, but I don't think the 1100's did. Any help is always appreciated

part number from the katana coils is 129711-2180 just for reference

Also the original coils are ok I'm pretty sure reading about 15k on the secondary but I don't get any reading with the caps on could I simply swap the caps off of the katana coils onto the 1100 since they are the same screw on style?

Should work just fine.

The stock plug caps DO have a resistor in them.

sigpic
    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
    Family Portrait
    Siblings and Spouses
    Mom's first ride
    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
      Should work just fine.

The stock plug caps DO have a resistor in them.

That's great news, I did take one of the plug caps apart the other day in an attempt to clean it, it didn't have one in there so someone has taken at least one of them out before I got the bike

Comment

Working...
      X