1982 GS450L ignition issues

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1982 GS450L ignition issues

Just picked up an 82 gs450l and it turns over but does not start. I a getting no spark with brand new coils. I am thinking it is the igniter box. Based on the price and reliability of these units, I was wondering if anyone has successful hooked up a dynatech ignition or some else? I have found some posts on this, but not for this specific bike. Any help would be appreciated!

I'm far from the expert on GS bikes, but the fact that my GS300L stator fits every GS bike up to a 750 suggests that if it works for other GSs, it'll work for yours.

Comment

That is what I am thinking from the research I have done. I just don't know if it would be better to just go with a new aftermarket system? Thank you for the advise!

Comment

I'd get a multi meter or test light to see where power is going and where It stops. Nothing good ever comes from just throwing money at the wrong part.

Comment

Yes, be suspicious of wiring/ connections. The ignitor conducts and then breaks the current flow (just like contact points) to ignition coils at right time. Here's a wiring diagram (might take a while to load clearly)

A dyna unit can apparently be fitted, but you have to modify the signal unit plate to clear the oil pressure sending unit.
          1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

look here

(this is link from Bass/bikecliffs "Electrical Odds and Ends" on his main page)
            there are interesting diagnostic diagrams that apply to ignitor etc...that seem to be general across all Suziebikes of the time but yes, double check connections first...follow the colours so you are familiar with where they connect to what

PS also check the signal generator leads where they come out..has been seen that these can get frayed...if no signal to ignitor, there will be no spark
            Last edited by Gorminrider; 09-20-2016, 10:52 AM.

Comment

So checked everything and am sure it is the igniter unit. I guess I am going to have to take the hit and get a replacement. I did find this http://www.ebay.com/itm/CDI-Box-2-Pl...torefresh=true on ebay, but not super sure it will work. The seller claims it will work, but dunno. What do you think?

Comment

Not clear if that ebay item can fire two ignition coils...

these new ignition coils that you installed...what is their primary resistance?
                1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Working...
                X