Where to start?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Where to start?

I've been plagued with electrical issues this riding season. The latest one happened yesterday in downtown traffic. The bike just quit, and wouldn't respond to the starter button. Here's the strange part, all the other electrics work fine. I have headlight, turn signals, dash lights, etc. I tried shorting across the solenoid and the starter turned over the motor fine. Fuses look good too.

Any ideas where I should start looking?
    80 gs1100 16-v ported & polished, 1 mm oversize intake valves, 1150 carbs w/Dynojet stage 3, plus Bandit/gsxr upgrades

I have had this happen to me and it was the the starter butten it self was dirty and a bit corroded , I cleaned it up and it was fine'.

Comment

The bike quit while running and then wouldn't respond to the starter switch, but still cranks when jumping the starter solenoid? Sounds like the side stand safety switch to me.

Comment

Originally posted by Ray916MN View Post
        The bike quit while running and then wouldn't respond to the starter switch, but still cranks when jumping the starter solenoid? Sounds like the side stand safety switch to me.
        Just two things wrong with that statement:
        1. Side stand switches did not appear until the '82 model bikes, his signature shows an '80.
        2. Unlike many other bikes, that switch only turns on a light on the dash panel, it has NOTHING to do with whether you can use the electric starter, and it does not kill the ignition or anything else, it just turns on a light.

sigpic
        mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
        hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
        #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
        #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
        Family Portrait
        Siblings and Spouses
        Mom's first ride
        Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
        (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Run a hot wire to the coils. Bet it runs.

Comment

DeOxit

Comment

Originally posted by wymple View Post
              Run a hot wire to the coils. Bet it runs.
              You mean from the button to the coils?

I went through the bike last year and used contact cleaner then dielectric grease but will check again. Since I have lights and dash lights shouldn't I look at the ignition circuit?
              80 gs1100 16-v ported & polished, 1 mm oversize intake valves, 1150 carbs w/Dynojet stage 3, plus Bandit/gsxr upgrades

Comment

No, straight from the battery. That bypasses everything and gives you a starting point. If it runs your ignition, coils are good.

Comment

I think I might be able to figure it out if someone shows me a schematic of the ignition system or at least explains it to me.
                  I need to know where to start.

Comment

Originally posted by nastyjones View Post
                    I think I might be able to figure it out if someone shows me a schematic of the ignition system or at least explains it to me.
                    I need to know where to start.
                    I can't tell if you have an ignition problem or a starter circuit problem.

The bike just quit, and wouldn't respond to the starter button.
                    These are two different issues but may be related.

If you can short the solenoid, and crank the engine then check the Green/Yellow wire to make sure you get 12V when you press the start button. If that is OK make sure the solenoid is grounded.

If your bike just quit, there are tests in the manual to check ignition. I assume you have not tested that. You look for spark if nothing else. Then Check the primary side of the Coil(-) to see if it is being modulated. If not check the ignitor ground.

Comment

http://img633.imageshack.us/img633/811/douMvs.jpg
                      1980 GS1000GT (Daily rider with a 1983 1100G engine)
                      1998 Honda ST1100 (Daily long distance rider)
                      1982 GS850GLZ (Daily rider when the weather is crap)

Darn, with so many daily riders it's hard to decide which one to jump on next.;)

JTGS850GL aka Julius

GS Resource Greetings

Comment

wiring diagrams ...on the right! of this page..oh I see has been linked above..

also gohere

roughly speaking, you will follow orange/white wire from fusebox to Kill Switch..this turns your ignition ON supplying 12v+
                        thenif that's ok,follow orange/white to coils...then,given 12v is showing there, the white wire and the black/yellow wires from the coils go to the TCI (TransistorControlledIgnition) black box that controls when those wires go to ground, creating a pulse that makes a spark thru hitension plug wires...the TCI box gets its signal from the "signal generator"which is indeed a little generator with magnets that pass by coils to produce a little pulse of power that "opens" the Transistors in the TCI box....

Very similar to mechanical points,in case you still have those...it's the interruption of power to coils that creates a spark at the plugs
                        That's about it.
                        The starter button should have no consequence to ignition, but it's useful to note that the kill switch must be on for the starterbutton to work...it shares the orange/white wire.
                        Last edited by Gorminrider; 10-03-2016, 01:20 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Gorminrider View Post
                          wiring diagrams ...on the right! of this page..oh I see has been linked above..

also gohere

roughly speaking, you will follow orange/white wire from fusebox to Kill Switch..this turns your ignition ON supplying 12v+
                          thenif that's ok,follow orange/white to coils...then,given 12v is showing there, the white wire and the black/yellow wires from the coils go to the TCI (TransistorControlledIgnition) black box that controls when those wires go to ground, creating a pulse that makes a spark thru hitension plug wires...the TCI box gets its signal from the "signal generator"which is indeed a little generator with magnets that pass by coils to produce a little pulse of power that "opens" the Transistors in the TCI box....

Very similar to mechanical points,in case you still have those...it's the interruption of power to coils that creates a spark at the plugs
                          That's about it.
                          The starter button should have no consequence to ignition, but it's useful to note that the kill switch must be on for the starterbutton to work...it shares the orange/white wire.
                          A couple of quick questions. Where is the signal generator located on my gs1100? Also, I don't see a TCI box in the wiring diagram. Is it called something else?

Comment

Ignitor....... It is connected to the coils

Comment

The "signal generator" is located under the right front engine cover with the TSCC emblem.
                              http://img633.imageshack.us/img633/811/douMvs.jpg
                              1980 GS1000GT (Daily rider with a 1983 1100G engine)
                              1998 Honda ST1100 (Daily long distance rider)
                              1982 GS850GLZ (Daily rider when the weather is crap)

Darn, with so many daily riders it's hard to decide which one to jump on next.;)

JTGS850GL aka Julius

GS Resource Greetings

Comment

Working...
                              X