DYNA S electronic tacho wiring

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

DYNA S electronic tacho wiring

Anybody know what electronic gadgetry i need to make an electronic tach signal generator from a Dyna S / Dyna coil set up on a GS1000?
    Dyna sell a cable for the job but i am sure it is just a few resistors or diodes or sommat like that, which could probably be made for a fraction of the price that Dyna are selling the cable for.
    TIA
    1978 GS1085.

Just remember, an opinion without 3.14 is just an onion!

The signal conditioning is going to be dependent on what you are driving (i.e. what TACHO). What are the signal requirements?
    Someone has probably done it already; I know there was a thread here in the last month for a VaporTrail.

Comment

its for a shift light, make unknown. originally intended for a car as the diagram included just says to take the signal from the - wire to the coil.
      1978 GS1085.

Comment

Dyna has the diode you need. I had to use it with an 1150.
        Ray.

Comment

Originally posted by rapidray View Post
          Dyna has the diode you need. I had to use it with an 1150.
          Ray.
          thanks Ray, i was hoping someone knew what diodes to use so i could make me own, i will contact Dynatek tomorrow.
          1978 GS1085.

Comment

spoke to Dynatek UK and they say their cable adaptor will power any electronic tacho or shif light that uses a low voltage signal. They wont tell me what the secret parts involved are, so i guess i will just have to purchase one.........
            1978 GS1085.

Comment

Check out this thread - http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...-Tach-Problems

I ended having to connect the tach lead for the Trail Tech to both negative terminals on the coils through diodes as no matter what I tried I would always get feedback from the other coil signal when connecting to just one. This requires changing the tach setting since you'll get 2 pulses per revolution.

Have you tried connecting the shift light yet?
              1983 GS650G
              Build thread: http://www.dotheton.com/forum/index.php?topic=66251.0

Comment

Originally posted by JonnyC View Post

I ended having to connect the tach lead for the Trail Tech to both negative terminals on the coils through diodes as no matter what I tried I would always get feedback from the other coil signal when connecting to just one. This requires changing the tach setting since you'll get 2 pulses per revolution.

Can you draw a schematic? I could never figure out what you actually did. Include the partnumber.

Comment

No i haven't tried yet as i will wait until i get the cable adapter from Dynatek. basically that is all the cable is, 2 wires connected to the neg side of the coils with diodes inline to stop the pulses from triggering both coils at the same time. if i knew what diodes to fit then it would be easy to make the cable myself....
                  1978 GS1085.

Comment

Originally posted by posplayr View Post
                    Can you draw a schematic? I could never figure out what you actually did. Include the partnumber.
                    [CODE]
                    1N4005
                    ---------|<---------- Primary Coil (-) Terminal
                    |
                    Trail Tech Tach Input Wire ---|
                    |
                    ---------|<---------- Primary Coil (-) Terminal
                    1N4005
                    [/CODE]
                    1983 GS650G

Comment

Thanks..........

So a single diode on only one coil did not work? Bike did not run or the Tach bounced?

Comment

so that is all i need, 2 of those 1N4005 diodes and i can make the cable myself?
                        1978 GS1085.

Comment

Tach bounced. I got a smaller voltage spike (sub 12v) on the lead when the other coil fired, but not always, and a single diode or resistor couldn't fix that issue. Was exploring a filtering mechanism to only send a voltage signal on the tach lead when voltage was higher than maybe 20v or so (flyback voltage from coil), but experimenting with series zener diodes had me confused, and this approach was simpler and reliable.
                          1983 GS650G

Comment

Originally posted by Agemax View Post
                            so that is all i need, 2 of those 1N4005 diodes and i can make the cable myself?

I believe so, yes. And really I think a 1N4002 through 1N4007 would work, I just went with the 1N4005 since it was the same price and can handle higher voltages.

Are there settings for the shift light to account for different pulses per revolution? Or is it something where you just press a button when you're at the RPM you want it to trigger at?
                            1983 GS650G

Comment

I believe so, yes. And really I think a 1N4002 through 1N4007 would work, I just went with the 1N4005 since it was the same price and can handle higher voltages.

Are there settings for the shift light to account for different pulses per revolution? Or is it something where you just press a button when you're at the RPM you want it to trigger at?
                              It is adjustable between 1k and 11k, has jumpers on it to change it from a 4,6 or 8 cyl engine. I will have to experiment with those jumpers when it is fitted.
                              1978 GS1085.

Comment

Working...
                              X