Gas Gauge not working on GS1000G

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gas Gauge not working on GS1000G

Forgive me if this topic has been discussed before and my search turned up no results. I'm getting around to fixing the the small things on my list and am looking into the gas gauge not working on the GS1000G I bought this season. I've checked the connectors on the wires from the sending unit and they are properly crimped electrically. When I put an ohm meter across the terminals I get no reading however, so I'm thinking the variable resistor (if there is one) in the float system is open. The wires going to the bike do provide a reasonable resistance reading.

Anyone have experience going after this issue before I replace the whole unit? I don't think it's a float problem because I would get some type of resistance reading across the two wires if it was.

BTW, the owner pointed this out when I bought the bike. He suggested it was "common".

Mark

I dunno, mine shows "Past full" when its full and "3/4 full" when I am empty... I replaced the sender and it does the EXACT same thing. So if someone has the answers on what to check, I'd be interested too.
    1982 GS1100E "Jolene"

Comment

Originally posted by TxGSrider View Post
      I dunno, mine shows "Past full" when its full and "3/4 full" when I am empty... I replaced the sender and it does the EXACT same thing. So if someone has the answers on what to check, I'd be interested too.
      Interesting you should say that. When the guy described the gas gauge issue he said..."and the gas gauge as you know says "FULL" when you start the bike and then drops to "EMPTY". (Which it doesn't, it just doesn't work) But maybe it started failing the way yours did. I'm going to try and look for an OEM setup but it won't be cheap. Hope some other forum members chime in..

Comment

For a quick check to see whether the problem is in the tank or in the gauge, find the connectors that the tank plugs into. Turn the bike ON, connect the two wires on the bike side of the connection (not the tank side), you should see the gauge go from Empty to Full. If it does, the problem is with your float.

Yes, it is rather common for the resistance to go funky, especially after 30+ years.
        Click on THIS LINK to see a very good tutorial with pictures that shows how to fix the sending unit.

sigpic
        mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
        hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
        #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
        #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
        Family Portrait
        Siblings and Spouses
        Mom's first ride
        Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
        (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

What year GS1000?

(If you put that in your signature, it'll help us help you, without asking for that info)

Comment

Originally posted by 850GT_Rider View Post
            What year GS1000?

(If you put that in your signature, it'll help us help you, without asking for that info)
            I agree about putting it in his sig, but it can only be an '80 or an '81, and they were virtually identical.

sigpic
            Family Portrait
            Siblings and Spouses
            Mom's first ride
            Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)

Comment

Don't want to hijack the thread, but is there a way to "zero" the gauge in the instrument cluster? Because now that I think about it, when I put the tank back on the other day I forgot to hook the leads back up and it still showed I had over 1/2 tank.
              1982 GS1100E "Jolene"

Comment

The bike is a 1980 GS1000G. I just added the info to my signature, we'll see if it shows up with this post. Good idea about isolating the gauge, but I'm pretty sure it's the sending unit because it measured "open" or "infinite ohms" with the DVM...
                Last edited by Guest; 10-06-2016, 05:17 PM. Reason: bad speller

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
                  I agree about putting it in his sig, but it can only be an '80 or an '81, and they were virtually identical.
                  Duh. Yeah - I missed the G suffix.

Comment

As I have stated before, I use HALF the fuel of what the manual says is the capacity and see where the needle settles in relation to the half tank mark. if it read higher than half then you bend the float arm up..if low then bend down. Its just like bending the arm in a toilet tank so you get the water level you want...except your bending the arm to get the needle to settle real close to half tank mark. This may require draining off the gas and taking the sending unit it a few times to get it good. But its worth having a reasonably true reading gauge at the end.
                    MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
                    1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

We all have different preferences where we like our gauges to be "accurate".

I have heard that the FAA (Federal Aviation Association) requires aircraft fuel gauges to be accurate at ONE point: EMPTY.

I modify that just a bit. I like my gauge to be crossing from the white area to the red area as it goes onto REServe.
                      To achieve that, I run a fuel line from the petcock to a bucket and apply some vacuum so the fuel flows. When the fuel stops flowing, I check the gauge and bend the float as necessary. You can turn the petcock to REServe (and apply vacuum) or to PRIme to finish draining the tank and observe that the gauge continues to drop. You can then see just how much farther it does drop before TRUE empty.

It's a bit fiddly and time consuming (unless you get REAL lucky), but bending the float arm is the way to get the accuracy you want.

Last edited by Steve; 10-07-2016, 12:19 PM.
                      sigpic
                      Family Portrait
                      Siblings and Spouses
                      Mom's first ride

Comment

That's a good way to calibrate the gauge Steve. As soon as I get mine working, I'll try that. BTW, what's the story with the gasket (there has to be one) between the sending unit and the tank? If I take the unit out of the tank to check it out or replace it, is an OEM gasket available? You talked about tweaking the float arm a few times. Does the gasket allow for R&R several times and still keep its integrity?

Mark

Comment

On my first 1000S the oil temp gauge was broken which I traced to a fractured bimetallic device inside the gauge itself. Apparently these are somewhat fragile. I bought a fuel gauge from another GS model and transplanted the bimetallic device into my gauge to resolve the issue. I'm not sure if the gauge problem discussed in this thread could be the same reason but it's worth a look at the gauge itself to be sure.
                          Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Originally posted by Mickeymoe View Post
                            That's a good way to calibrate the gauge Steve. As soon as I get mine working, I'll try that. BTW, what's the story with the gasket (there has to be one) between the sending unit and the tank? If I take the unit out of the tank to check it out or replace it, is an OEM gasket available? You talked about tweaking the float arm a few times. Does the gasket allow for R&R several times and still keep its integrity?

Mark
                            I just ordered the gasket for my 850L. Unless it is cracked like mine was, it is re-usable since it is rubber.

1983 GS750ED-Horsetraded for the Ironhead
                            1981 HD XLH

Drew's 850 L Restoration

Drew's 83 750E Project

Comment

I took his post to mean its working but not reading with any degree of accuracy. Myself, I dont give a crap about what FAA protocol is because its a motorcyle..that and I like reasonably realistic information when i look down at the dash.
                              MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
                              1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

Working...
                              X