Gas Gauge not working on GS1000G

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by chuck hahn View Post
    I took his post to mean its working but not reading with any degree of accuracy. Myself, I dont give a crap about what FAA protocol is because its a motorcyle..that and I like reasonably realistic information when i look down at the dash.
    Nah, the seller gave me a line of crap about the gauge just being wacky and since there were so many important things to check on the bike I forgot all about it. It doesn't work at all. He only lied about two things as far as I can see and neither of them were show stoppers. I've been all through the bike and haven't found anything wrong except for a "creak" in the front forks when I move the handlebars with the bike stopped. He said "he" put progressive springs in the fork tubes so I should really check his work. I should add that the bike has an aftermarket fork brace which could be the creaking culprit.
    Last edited by Guest; 10-09-2016, 10:45 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by chuck hahn View Post
      Myself, I dont give a crap about what FAA protocol is because its a motorcyle..that and I like reasonably realistic information when i look down at the dash.
      I like reasonably realistic information, too, but my point was that even in something as complex and important at the 747 that carries hundreds of people, accuracy of the fuel gauge is only mandated at ONE point. There is no requirement for accuracy anywhere else, which I find amusing.

As I mentioned in post #11, we all have different preferences. Since "half a tank" really has no significance to the operation of the bike, I choose the point where something has to be done: switch to REServe as my calibration point. My bike, my choice.

sigpic
      mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
      hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
      #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
      #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
      Family Portrait
      Siblings and Spouses
      Mom's first ride
      Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
      (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
        I like reasonably realistic information, too, but my point was that even in something as complex and important at the 747 that carries hundreds of people, accuracy of the fuel gauge is only mandated at ONE point. There is no requirement for accuracy anywhere else, which I find amusing.

As I mentioned in post #11, we all have different preferences. Since "half a tank" really has no significance to the operation of the bike, I choose the point where something has to be done: switch to REServe as my calibration point. My bike, my choice.

I prefer the the gauge to be calibrated where it hits red just as I need to switch to reserve also. Luckily for me, that's how it was when I got it.

1983 GS750ED-Horsetraded for the Ironhead
        1981 HD XLH

Drew's 850 L Restoration

Drew's 83 750E Project

Comment

Steve...I use the half tank method because thats a very specific mark on the gauge. The needle either point at the half mark or it shows which way the arm is off in relatonship to the half mark. Just a reliable "known" point for when I adjust the readings.

But yes on the planes..knowing exact where E is makes a helllz of a difference...LOL
          MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
          1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

If the gauge reads nothing, as in empty, then do the quick trouble shoot that's been stated. Take the two wires that go into the harness from the fuel gauge and short them together. The gauge should go to full or even higher. If that happens then you know the gauge and harness are good. Drop the tank and verify that the wires going to the level sensor are connected and have clean connections. Reading open on the sensor does seem to indicate a bad sensor or could just be a broken wire. If it turns out to be a bad sensor then pop it out and see if it's the winding on the sensor or the sweep may just not be making contact. These sensors can usually be fixed by cleaning up the sweep area and making sure the sweep arm is making good contact with the windings.

1980 GS1000GT (Daily rider with a 1983 1100G engine)
            1998 Honda ST1100 (Daily long distance rider)
            1982 GS850GLZ (Daily rider when the weather is crap)

Darn, with so many daily riders it's hard to decide which one to jump on next.

JTGS850GL aka Julius

GS Resource Greetings

Comment

Working...
            X