Signal Generator?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Signal Generator?

I've posted this in the Campfire also on my For the love of Mike thread, but I thought I post it here.

The GS1100E bobber is wire directly from the signal generator to the coils. Is running like this possible? I don't see how, but the owner told my salesman that it ran until he dropped it and the battery shorted. I checked to make sure someone didn't put a point system in place, but it looks like a stock pickup system. I can fine no ignitor on here anywhere and following the wires up from the sig gen they go directly to the coils.
    :cool:GSRick
    No God, no peace. Know God, know peace.

Eric Bang RIP 9/5/2018
    Have some bikes ready for us when we meet up.

Possible if he changed the ignition system with a Dynatek Dyna-S ignition module. The entire signal generator and ignitor are housed behind the signal generator housing.
    http://img633.imageshack.us/img633/811/douMvs.jpg
    1980 GS1000GT (Daily rider with a 1983 1100G engine)
    1998 Honda ST1100 (Daily long distance rider)
    1982 GS850GLZ (Daily rider when the weather is crap)

Darn, with so many daily riders it's hard to decide which one to jump on next.;)

JTGS850GL aka Julius

GS Resource Greetings

Comment

from your description....No.
      given my impression that the signal coils are wired in series with the coils.

...coils make sparks when the electricity is turned OFF. Without a doofunny( =ignitor and signal generator or points) to do this in time with the engine, it won't run.
      If it did run, there has to be a doofunny somewhere.

Comment

It has a Dyna S, never worked with one of those. Thanks, but now I've got to look elsewhere for why this bike won't run.
        :cool:GSRick
        No God, no peace. Know God, know peace.

Eric Bang RIP 9/5/2018
        Have some bikes ready for us when we meet up.

Comment

Are you getting spark at all? These systems are pretty simple. Should only require +12V, Gnd and one output/coil to run. Start by making sure you have the +12V at both the Dyna red wire and the O/W wires at the coils. Might be a fuse or open wire connection. Verify your all your fuses using a meter. Don't depend on visuals on a glass fuse. Especially true if it was dropped. Assuming you know where to look for the wiring diagram. Hint... here.
          http://img633.imageshack.us/img633/811/douMvs.jpg
          1980 GS1000GT (Daily rider with a 1983 1100G engine)
          1998 Honda ST1100 (Daily long distance rider)
          1982 GS850GLZ (Daily rider when the weather is crap)

Darn, with so many daily riders it's hard to decide which one to jump on next.;)

JTGS850GL aka Julius

GS Resource Greetings

Comment

Working...
          X