Wire loose from circuit board?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wire loose from circuit board?

The wire lead to light up "5" on the gear indicator circuit board has come unglued from the board (see "Bad Board" pic in link). It is not a solder issue but the solder glob itself has come unglued. I do have a spare board, (see "Second Board" in link), in seemingly good shape but the 5 way terminal is useless.

I could cut & splice wires if that is best.

BUT, I was wondering if I could de-solder the wires from the two boards and re-solder the 5 connections on the Second Board to my existing wire harness. I worry that the multiple applications of heat from the soldering gun could weaken the glue on the good board leaving me where I was but now without a solid replacement.

Question is for anyone who was some experience with solder/re-solder on a 35 year old circuit board.

Thanks so much. Links to pics below.

DH

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/9iwsdx5nn...SBQMWTCta?dl=0

This is where plenty of FLUX is nessesary. If you can't pull all those wires with de-laminating the copper then the board is junk.

On the other hand if you don't use flux and can't get the solder to melt you will put so much heat into the board you will damage the board (delaminating the pad).

How did that pad get pulled off in the first place? Was someone yanking on it? If it just vibrated off, the I guess I would suspect the board.

This could be repaired by soldering a small wire onto the remains of the pad, but that will would need to strain relieved to one of the other solidly attached wires.

EDIT:

I reread you are using a solder gun. You have to keep teh tip clean and tinned before you apply heat. It shoudl only take 2-3 seconds to heat that blob enough to lift the wire. If you take 10+ sec you need flux and a clean tip.

See picture below. I would just reattach teh wire to the adjoining pin.

PCB_Repair.jpg
    Last edited by posplayr; 10-12-2016, 03:07 PM.

Comment

I had wire come loose from the back of the ignition switch. Had it resoldered at a cell phone repair shop. Cost was resonable, maybe $10.
      Jordan

1977 Suzuki GS750 (My first bike)
      2000 Kawasaki ZRX1100
      1973 BMW R75/5

Comment

I would first try to get back to clean wire on the 5 and resolder it to it's original position after cleaning it off.
        Hard to tell from the pic but the the wire just corrode and disappear from under the solder ?
        97 R1100R
        Previous
        80 GS850G, 79 Z400B, 85 R100RT, 80 Z650D, 76 CB200

Comment

Originally posted by Brendan W View Post
          I would first try to get back to clean wire on the 5 and resolder it to it's original position after cleaning it off.
          Hard to tell from the pic but the the wire just corrode and disappear from under the solder ?
          The pad ripped off the substrate

Comment

Originally posted by posplayr View Post
            This is where plenty of FLUX is nessesary. If you can't pull all those wires with de-laminating the copper then the board is junk.

On the other hand if you don't use flux and can't get the solder to melt you will put so much heat into the board you will damage the board (delaminating the pad).

How did that pad get pulled off in the first place? Was someone yanking on it? If it just vibrated off, the I guess I would suspect the board.

This could be repaired by soldering a small wire onto the remains of the pad, but that will would need to strain relieved to one of the other solidly attached wires.

EDIT:

I reread you are using a solder gun. You have to keep teh tip clean and tinned before you apply heat. It shoudl only take 2-3 seconds to heat that blob enough to lift the wire. If you take 10+ sec you need flux and a clean tip.

See picture below. I would just reattach teh wire to the adjoining pin.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]47833[/ATTACH]
            Thanks posplayr & all. I had posted reply but it seems to have vaporized. Anyway the tip on soldering to the actual pin was the solution. All 5 lights now working. Here is link to the repair & related. I will use GOOP applied with tip of toothpick to further secure the wires to the board. The wire had vibrated off, not busted off by clumsy owner.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/eiebtbbdi...2e9i0kJQa?dl=0

Thanks to all!!!!!

Comment

Working...
            X