Rectifier/Reg Failure modes?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rectifier/Reg Failure modes?

I'm on my third R/R. The first one failed in the "normal way," disabling charging. The most recent failure failed to ground. While driving down a neighborhood street, the ignition shut off after the main fuse blew.

With my new R/R, Suzy is running fine, but I'm a little spooked. It was only a matter of luck that I was in moderate pushing distance of home. There was NO warning, just... OFF. Should I be carrying a spare R/R on all trips beyond 3 miles from home?

BTW, https://www.regulatorrectifier.com/ had the part for my 250 for $90, shipping included. Ordered 10/8, arrived 10/12.

They also have stators to fit at moderate prices. If my stator goes, I won't bother rewinding my own again.
    Mark Fisher
    sigpic

Why don't you read gs stator in my signature? It might answer some of your questions.

Comment

what type R/R did you have? Not sure about series type- I guess they just stop all charging...but usually, the shunt-type fail in regulation with the "rectifying" still working so your battery overcharges and boils off...but you do get home. So there's an idea for a spare...ebay has a ton of R/R's. I'd do the search for the Honda Goldwing replacement for a cheapo though it won't fit in under your sidecover so well..
      $90 is a lot of $ for a shunt-type unless you are sure it is a real Shindengen

Comment

Originally posted by Gorminrider View Post
        what type R/R did you have? Not sure about series type- I guess they just stop all charging...but usually, the shunt-type fail in regulation with the "rectifying" still working so your battery overcharges and boils off...but you do get home. So there's an idea for a spare...ebay has a ton of R/R's. I'd do the search for the Honda Goldwing replacement for a cheapo though it won't fit in under your sidecover so well..
        $90 is a lot of $ for a shunt-type unless you are sure it is a real Shindengen
        Three failures different modes all have a common root cause; excessive heat/temperature. On a larger engine there is less capacity to dissipate stator heat and so the stators fry first.

I have little doubt he is running a Shunt R/R (all three plus the new one on order) and there were nothing but Shunt R/R on the website he linked.

The only Shindingen that might work are the 6 wire models also described in the link.

Comment

I have little doubt he is running a Shunt R/R
          yes - Likely so. I was just thinking as to "spare" (which I don't carry)
          the ignition shut off after the main fuse blew.
          yes There's only one fuse. you might have gotten home by disconnecting the offending device...so rather than a spare R/R maybe you should carry some spare fuses....

Comment

Indeed. NOW I do.

As Gormrider pointed out, given a spare fuse (which I generally have, though not, of course, on THAT day), I could have gotten an operating bike by unhooking the R&R. Which points out the utility of keeping a cheap voltmeter in the kit. Will do.

Thank for your response.
            Mark Fisher
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by mf70 View Post
              Indeed. NOW I do.

As Gormrider pointed out, given a spare fuse (which I generally have, though not, of course, on THAT day), I could have gotten an operating bike by unhooking the R&R. Which points out the utility of keeping a cheap voltmeter in the kit. Will do.

Thank for your response.
              In the 5 fuse fuseboxes there are 1 or 2 slots for spare fuses (10A and 15A).

The volt meter should be on your handle bar, but on a trip I would always carry an VOM for diagnostics.

Comment

The Shindengen SH775 is the current forum favorite R/R. It's a SERIES type R/R, which as Mr. Posplyar has taught us, helps protect our stator from over heat failure from current shunted back to the R/R by a conventional shunt type R/R. One of the nice things about these units is that they can be obtained for cheaper than the typical aftermarket chinese R/R. Polaris sells these units for great prices and Triumph sells a nice pigtail adapter harness so you can easily graft the unit onto your bikes wiring harness.

Needless to say, you need to rewire the charging system to eliminate the stator loop up through the hand control if you haven't already done so. Also improve your system grounds. Failing to do these things is like throwing a brand new bearing down in the dirt before you install it. The devil's in the details.
                Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Originally posted by Nessism View Post
                  The Shindengen SH775 is the current forum favorite R/R. It's a SERIES type R/R, which as Mr. Posplyar has taught us, helps protect our stator from over heat failure from current shunted back to the R/R by a conventional shunt type R/R. One of the nice things about these units is that they can be obtained for cheaper than the typical aftermarket chinese R/R. Polaris sells these units for great prices and Triumph sells a nice pigtail adapter harness so you can easily graft the unit onto your bikes wiring harness.

Needless to say, you need to rewire the charging system to eliminate the stator loop up through the hand control if you haven't already done so. Also improve your system grounds. Failing to do these things is like throwing a brand new bearing down in the dirt before you install it. The devil's in the details.
                  Previously posted to this link.

Originally posted by posplayr View Post
                  Why don't you read gs stator in my signature? It might answer some of your questions.

Comment

Working...
                  X