Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GS550E Stator/Rotor Qestion

Hi,
    I'm new owner of '81 GS550E, I have charging problem, there was no charging, so I opened the generator cover and I found baked 18 pole stator, I replaced it with another used 18 pole stator, which pass tests for conectivity and shorts, but there is still 0V output when motor runs.
    I cheked rotor with screwdriver, and it catch 12 times inside all rotor, now I'm confused, should I have 12 or 18 pole stator for it ?
    Should be equal poles number on stator and rotor ?
    stator_rotor.jpg
    Sorry for my bad polish english

Originally posted by Tomi View Post
    Hi,
    I'm new owner of '81 GS550E, I have charging problem, there was no charging, so I opened the generator cover and I found baked 18 pole stator, I replaced it with another used 18 pole stator, which pass tests for conectivity and shorts, but there is still 0V output when motor runs.
    I cheked rotor with screwdriver, and it catch 12 times inside all rotor, now I'm confused, should I have 12 or 18 pole stator for it ?
    Should be equal poles number on stator and rotor ?
    [ATTACH=CONFIG]47871[/ATTACH]
    Sorry for my bad polish english
    Stator is Bad. Find another one. You best replace the Shunt R/R it is going to completely cook the next stator as well.

Comment

Yes, I know this one is cooked
      I have another one which looks good,
      but the question is, about correct numbers of poles on stator and rotor.

I mesured R/R unit and it looks fine with parameters, first I need to find voltage on stator output.
      Last edited by Guest; 10-15-2016, 08:05 AM.

Comment

Are you sure it only catches 12 times? Each magnet section would then catch 4 times. Is this correct? If the screw driver catches 12 times full circle and not 18 then you either need to change the rotor or the stator to match. You must have the same number of poles on both the magnet and the stator or you will get no voltage.
        http://img633.imageshack.us/img633/811/douMvs.jpg
        1980 GS1000GT (Daily rider with a 1983 1100G engine)
        1998 Honda ST1100 (Daily long distance rider)
        1982 GS850GLZ (Daily rider when the weather is crap)

Darn, with so many daily riders it's hard to decide which one to jump on next.;)

JTGS850GL aka Julius

GS Resource Greetings

Comment

Yes I checked one more time, it catches 12 times, so it looks like previous owner mount wrong stator and never get charging, and I bought similar 18 poles stator to replace it.
          Thank you JTGS850GL for your answer, now I know what I need to buy.

Comment

My 1980 550 has a 12 pole stator, the 1981 model had the 18 pole stator.........
            1980 GS550ET

Comment

Yes, the 81 should have an 18 pole stator and rotor. Strange that yours is a 12 pole.
              http://img633.imageshack.us/img633/811/douMvs.jpg
              1980 GS1000GT (Daily rider with a 1983 1100G engine)
              1998 Honda ST1100 (Daily long distance rider)
              1982 GS850GLZ (Daily rider when the weather is crap)

Darn, with so many daily riders it's hard to decide which one to jump on next.;)

JTGS850GL aka Julius

GS Resource Greetings

Comment

Originally posted by Tomi View Post
                Yes I checked one more time, it catches 12 times, so it looks like previous owner mount wrong stator and never get charging, and I bought similar 18 poles stator to replace it.
                Thank you JTGS850GL for your answer, now I know what I need to buy.
                So somebody mounted a burned out 18 pole stator into a bike with a 12 pole rotor,

Or are you suggesting that a 18 pole stator with 12 pole rotor will burn up the stator?

Comment

" I cheked rotor with screwdriver, and it catch 12 times inside all rotor, now I'm confused, should I have 12 or 18 pole stator for it ?"

The rotor for the 18 pole stator has 6 pairs of N/S magnets, so a screwdriver tip ​would catch 12 times. A rotor for the 12 pole stator has 4 pairs of N/S magnets so it would only catch 8 times.
                  1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Originally posted by tom203 View Post
                    " I cheked rotor with screwdriver, and it catch 12 times inside all rotor, now I'm confused, should I have 12 or 18 pole stator for it ?"

The rotor for the 18 pole stator has 6 pairs of N/S magnets, so a screwdriver tip ​would catch 12 times. A rotor for the 12 pole stator has 4 pairs of N/S magnets so it would only catch 8 times.
                    I figured operator error on the count, else the stator would not be burned.

BTW there are clearly only three 120 degree magnetic shells in that rotor, not six.
                    Last edited by posplayr; 10-15-2016, 04:29 PM.

Comment

Ok, I think I know where the problem is, probably my bike is not '81 but '80, it comes form Germany and they write in papers first registration date as production date.
                      In fact my rotor have 12 magnets, maybe previous owner make the same mistake instaling wrong 18 pole stator, because he search for '81 model ?

Why was old stator burned? I just don't know

Also before I order wrong stator, I read something like this "The rotor for the 18 pole stator has 6 pairs of N/S magnets, so a screwdriver tip ​would catch 12 times. A rotor for the 12 pole stator has 4 pairs of N/S magnets so it would only catch 8 times." and I think this is a misleading statement according to this "You must have the same number of poles on both the magnet and the stator or you will get no voltage"

Now I need to find 12 pole stator, If someone can recommend, where to find one, not to expensive, in EU or UK, please feel free to share
                      Many thanks for all your advices.

Comment

Your screwdriver test is too crude- get a small round magnet like in attached pic. One side is N ,other side is S. Pick a side and move it around inside rotor. If you have a 12 pole rotor, the small magnet will grab 4 times and repel 4 times as it slides around rotor's magnets.
                        image.jpg
                        1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Would it be easier to remember this if you said this is a three phase machine. Divide the poles by three.
                          97 R1100R
                          Previous
                          80 GS850G, 79 Z400B, 85 R100RT, 80 Z650D, 76 CB200

Comment

Ok guys now I'm confused again...
                            I was thinking about replacing flywheel to 18 poles (magnets), because 12 pole stator is very rare on EU market,
                            but then I found some shop on US ...bay, who sell 82 GS550LZ 18 pole stator and flywheel from the same bike, but the flywheel looks exactly like my, looking closer you can see magnet marks on flywheel, and I see 4 magnet per section, so why my rotor which is similar don't work with 18 pole stator ? anybody ? please, I don't want to loose money again.
                            gs550L 82.jpg

Comment

Ask them if that is the picture of the actual item they are selling and explain about the marks.
                              They may have a stock picture of a rotor they use for every rotor they sell or someone may have made a mistake uploading the wrong picture.
                              I would keep looking for the right stator. Removing a rotor is not as easy as it looks and getting it to go back tight even on the same bike is not always a sure thing.
                              Last edited by Brendan W; 10-17-2016, 05:02 PM.
                              97 R1100R
                              Previous
                              80 GS850G, 79 Z400B, 85 R100RT, 80 Z650D, 76 CB200

Comment

Working...
                              X