Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Tomi View Post
    Ok guys now I'm confused again...
    I was thinking about replacing flywheel to 18 poles (magnets), because 12 pole stator is very rare on EU market,
    but then I found some shop on US ...bay, who sell 82 GS550LZ 18 pole stator and flywheel from the same bike, but the flywheel looks exactly like my, looking closer you can see magnet marks on flywheel, and I see 4 magnet per section, so why my rotor which is similar don't work with 18 pole stator ? anybody ? please, I don't want to loose money again.
    [ATTACH=CONFIG]47928[/ATTACH]
    Tom told you the difference before.

18 pole, 12 magnets.

You have a burned 18 pole stator so it is highly likely you have an 18 pole rotor regardless of what you determined with "catches". However you reported earlier 12 catches, so what is the problem?

Originally posted by tom203 View Post
    " I cheked rotor with screwdriver, and it catch 12 times inside all rotor, now I'm confused, should I have 12 or 18 pole stator for it ?"

The rotor for the 18 pole stator has 6 pairs of N/S magnets, so a screwdriver tip ​would catch 12 times. A rotor for the 12 pole stator has 4 pairs of N/S magnets so it would only catch 8 times.

Comment

Originally posted by posplayr View Post
      Tom told you the difference before.

18 pole, 12 magnets.

You have a burned 18 pole stator so it is highly likely you have an 18 pole rotor regardless of what you determined with "catches". However you reported earlier 12 catches, so what is the problem?
      Ok, maybe it is because my poor english and lack of physic knowledge
      So you suggest that 18 pole rotor will catch screwdriver only 12 times (not 18) correct ?
      And according to my test I have 18 pole rotor and should buy new 18 pole stator to get voltage output?

Comment

That pic of rotor and gear (off ebay) shows a rotor for the 18 pole stator. There are 3 magnet sections,each having 4 magnets cast in them. Compare it to yours. Some rotors had 4 sections , each with 3 magnets- both types work with the 18 pole stator.
        Last edited by tom203; 10-18-2016, 07:23 AM. Reason: clarity
        1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

That pic of rotor and gear (off ebay) shows a rotor for the 18 pole stator. There are 3 magnet sections,each having 4 magnets cast in them. Compare it to yours. Some rotors had 4 sections , each with 3 magnets- both types work with the 18 pole stator.
          Actually, picture with a gear is from ebay, my look similar, could you confirm is the for 18 pole stator ?

Comment

Actually, picture with a gear is from ebay, my look similar, could you confirm is the for 18 pole stator ?

if yours looks similar, then yours is the rotor for the 18 pole stator.
            1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Will this stator fit for my rotor ?
              New Electrosport Stators Direct Plug In Replacement, 1 year warranty, plug and play ESG014 Stator Suzuki GS450, GS500E, GS550E/ 550L, GS650E/ 650G, GS750E
              Last edited by Guest; 10-18-2016, 07:37 AM.

Comment

Will this stator fit for my rotor ?
                http://www.electrosport.com/street-b...-gs750e-2.html
                Yes, but please don't buy the r/r on same page. Get a series r/r unit if possible.
                1981 gs650L

Comment

R/R mounted in my bike is SH232-12, I have tested it with multimeter according to some YT instructions (diode test), and it passes the test.
                  You think, I can use this R/R or should I look for stock ?
                  Last edited by Guest; 10-18-2016, 08:03 AM.

Comment

R/R mounted in my bike is SH232-12, I have tested it with multimeter according to some YT instructions (diode test), and it passes the test.
                    You think, I can use this R/R or should I look for stock ?
                    That's a very good shunt unit- I used one for years before switching to a series unit. Probably indestructible.
                    1981 gs650L

Comment

That's good news, first of the day

Comment

With a little help of mirror I found numbers on the back of my flywheel: GP9101 01, can anybody tell me what what is Suzuki OEM number for this ?

Comment

That's a very good shunt unit- I used one for years before switching to a series unit. Probably indestructible.
                          Tom203, I have read your post about sh232-12 wiring, and you write "...the red is positive feed, the green is ground, the black wire is the sense wire (connected to switched + 12 volt )."
                          On my bike black is connected to ground and green is cut off, is this a reason why my stator was cooked ?

Comment

Tom203, I have read your post about sh232-12 wiring, and you write "...the red is positive feed, the green is ground, the black wire is the sense wire (connected to switched + 12 volt )."
                            On my bike black is connected to ground and green is cut off, is this a reason why my stator was cooked ?
                            With the green wire just cut off, the sh-232 can't dump any excess to ground, so unpleasant things would happen. But I don't see how any current would flow to the r/r - I'd guess it would be an open circuit condition with no current flowing from stator.The black sense wire needs to be connected to a +12 volt source so it can decide how much to regulate/dump the stator's output. Your stator was probably toasted before the sh-232 was added.
                            1981 gs650L

Comment

Brilliant; electrical wiring by braille.

I would guess that with no ground the R/R will sense a high output voltage as there is nothing to hold it down (i.e. like the battery).

On the other hand the sense wire going to ground is telling it that the battery is dead and to keep on charging.

Since the stator is smoked, I suspect it decided to short the stator windings permanently.

BTW, the current returns to the R/R on the green(the opposite of all the current that leaves the red); there is no such thing as "dumping current to ground" other than a common misperception.

Comment

I'm a bit surprised that the R/R measures fine, given the botched wiring - probably the stator got cooked early enough?

In any case case, if you decide to keep this R/R; after replacing the stator, make sure everything is wired up correctly. And do posplayer's quick charging check.
                                #1: 1979 GS 550 EC "Red" – Very first Bike / Overhaul thread        New here? ☛ Read the Top 10 Newbie mistakes thread
                                #2: 1978 GS 550 EC "Blue" – Can't make it a donor / "Rebuild" thread     Manuals (and much more): See Cliff's homepage here
                                #3: 2014 Moto Guzzi V7 II Racer – One needs a runner while wrenching
                                #4: 1980 Moto Guzzi V65C – Something to chill

Comment

Working...
                                X