Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

'79 GS550E tach squealing - how to rebuild/fix?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

'79 GS550E tach squealing - how to rebuild/fix?

hi,

out of the blue the tach on my bike starts squealing. did the usual cable lube but its in the tach unit.
    any instruction on disassemble to fix/clean/rebuild and make this go away? Thanks

I have read that heavy gear oil dripped into the shaft will quiet things down for a long time.
    I have done it and have not heard a sound in years.
    Use sparingly and you will have to invert the tach.
    1983 GS 550 LD
    2009 BMW K1300s

Comment

ok, thanks
      so remove the tach from bike, place face down and oil with a few drops of gear oil

hope that does the trick

Comment

yes sir
        yes
        1983 GS 550 LD
        2009 BMW K1300s

Comment

You may need to open the case. Mine was making a shriek to wake the dead, but oil down the shaft hole wasn't able to reach the area that was binding.

I removed the tach from its case and was able to get a few drops of oil into the bushing. That was about five years ago and it's been fine ever since.
          1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
          2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
          2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
          Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

put a few drops of light weight penetrating oil into the shafts on tach and speedo and good to go. thanks for the help!!!

Comment

Working...
            X