Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

whats the stock coil resistance of a gs750?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

whats the stock coil resistance of a gs750?

hi. im thinking of putting in a dyna electric ignition and need to know if i have to replace my coils as the aftermarket system needs at least 3ohm resistance. anyone know?

The stock coils that came with stock suzuki electronic ignition were 4 ohm primary- they should work fine with the dyna..or spend more money and get the dyna 3 ohm coil units.
    1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

The resistance of "stock" coils depends on the year of your bike. Up through the '79 model year, they were a nominal 5 ohms, but could have been an ohm or two on either hside of that. Starting in '80, they were a nominal 3 ohms.

If you add a signature to your profile that mentions your bike (similar to what tom203 has), you won't have to remember to mention it every time.

sigpic
      mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
      hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
      #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
      #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
      Family Portrait
      Siblings and Spouses
      Mom's first ride
      Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
      (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

thanks for the tip. its a 78 gs750e. great the dyna system should be ok then. thanks guys!

Comment

Less resistance is be better.... oh, that's in aerodynamics never mind (Emily Latella)

Comment

The Dyna ignition will handle anything with 3 ohms or more.

The advantage of 3 ohms is more current flows through the coils, and more current = stronger magnetic field. Stronger magnetic field = stronger spark.

Points have problems arcing when too much current is flowing through them when they open, so they need 5 ohms or more to limit the current.

sigpic
            mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
            hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
            #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
            #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
            Family Portrait
            Siblings and Spouses
            Mom's first ride
            Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
            (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Working...
            X