Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GS550 r/r test and wiring question

Hi,
    After replacing stator with new one, I finaly got voltage on it's output wires, but still no battery charging.
    My r/r unit is a SH232-12, I performed a diode test from BikeCliff's page and have similar readings except one.
    At point 2 of procedure
    2) Reversing the leads, putting the (-) lead on the sense wire:

The (+) connection reads:
    Red output = +OL
    Green ground = ~ 1.5v
    All yellow inputs = +OL
    my readings is: Green ground = 0.86v, is it correct or is my r/r bad ?

Second question is about wiring and fuse box, under right cover I found some melted plastics, and probably some not original wires. I'm not an electrician, but hopefully with wiring diagram, mulitmeter and your help will try to fix this problem.

Here is a picture of what I found, any ideas what is wrong here ?
    What for is the small fuse box in the center if there is only one red (+) wire connected ?

Thanks for any advices
    Last edited by Guest; 11-06-2016, 04:21 AM. Reason: photo added

" finaly got voltage on it's output wires, but still no battery charging."

Let's start here... what AC readings did you get with your new stator (disconected from r/r) ?
    I used a sh232, but never tested the sense circuit per Basscliff. I did run a sh-232 with sense wire disconnected for a while as a test with a weak stator.
    1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

I'm not awful familiar with a 550 and I haven't looked at the wiring diagram for it, but first off, I'd say, that green fuse isn't connected to anything.;second: it's the wrong kind of fuse and unreliable as a substitute for the glass fuse the holder is designed for. third: I surmise that's supposed to be the system MAIN fuse and should be ...20-30 amps? fourth; the + red wire from the fuse box to the cluster at the solenoid bolt should be disconnected and then connected to where you have the "?" mark..the empty screw. This is so the lighter fuses(10-15 amp) in the fuse box blow before the MAIN does...indicating a particular circuit's fault rather than killing everything when there is a fault.....

as to the last picture, as far as I can see, electrical tape and bits of solder? recommend that it is checked out but might be ok and in my opinion unrelated to your first problem...

which was..."not charging".....and as to that I wouldn't puzzle over the voltage drop of the inner function of the R/R just yet...anyways note the "~" which means approximately..... First, I would connect the R/R properly. ... the 232 is the Honda type? so put its black wire on the battery "+" just as a preliminary test. ...AND!! Choose a solid ground for the green wire rather than that shown unless you are sure it IS a good ground to the battery negative terminal as is..the which is NOT plain to me from the pix.
      Last edited by Gorminrider; 11-06-2016, 01:09 PM.

Comment

..well, I see I am wrong about that odd fuse...it'sapparently for an an auxiliary output...and can be ignored - still-get rid of the funky fuse... and I'd still double check that place for the R/R's green wire ground.

Your main is on that fuse block where the red wire goes...

Comment

Now that I can see pics, Hmmm. You need a better spot for the green ground wire, battery negative is ideal to help the sh-232 "see" the battery easily. Don't rely on frame unless you use a single point grounding scheme with a direct connection to battery negative.
          1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Thanks, for all suggestions,
            I think I will replace fuse box and swap from glass fuses to plug-in fuses.
            I will remove part with green fuse if I don't need it.
            Reconnect green wire to the battery, and check for charging again.
            Thanks guys

Comment

Finally I got charging !
              After replacing fuse box, few suspicious wires and grounding r/r directly to the battery, I've got 14.45v charging.
              Wiring is not final yet, but now I know my stator and r/r is fine.
              Thanks all for your help

Comment

Working...
              X