Sh-775 question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sh-775 question

I just want to start this post by saying thank you to everyone who post on this forum, it has been a wealth of information.

Now on to the heart of the matter... every R/R post I've seen on here everyone says to use a sh775. Why is that? Is it just the most reliable? Or is it the only thing that truly works? Any info is appreciated.

I have a 79 GS100l fwiw.

see GS stator in my signature as well as GS Charging System health and look for links for SERIES R/R.

Comment

It's better because it does its job more effectively. When a "regular" r/r gets more power from the stator than it needs to send to the bike, it sheds it as heat. When a SH775 receives excess power, it turns it into harmless things like fairy dust and unicorn tears.
      Jordan

1977 Suzuki GS750 (My first bike)
      2000 Kawasaki ZRX1100
      1973 BMW R75/5

Comment

Thanks for the reply, I must have just overlooked it in all of the reading I've done on it.

And I was told by a good friend of mine that unicorn tears alone add an extra 4.5 Horse Power, and the fairy dust is an added bonus...

Comment

Originally posted by tcodyg View Post
          Thanks for the reply, I must have just overlooked it in all of the reading I've done on it.

And I was told by a good friend of mine that unicorn tears alone add an extra 4.5 Horse Power, and the fairy dust is an added bonus...
          Since you took that so well I will give you the real answer. The original regulator is a shunt type. It works by dumping excess current to ground, which results in the stator running full blast all the time, making extra heat and shortening its lifespan. The SH-775 is a series type regulator and it works by regulating the output of the stator to match the load on the system. When less than full power is required it dials the stator back so it runs cooler and lasts longer.

Mark
          1982 GS1100E
          1998 ZX-6R
          2005 KTM 450EXC

Comment

Working...
          X