Could a sh775 kill a stator?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by DohcBikes View Post
    Be skeptical. All i can do is offer facts. They fail all the time. As much or more than others.

I mean, right here we are in a thread where the reg rec has likely caused an issue. Id expect more soon.

Mosfet is the way to go.
    well,offer facts... How about your brother pointing out a Polaris service bulletin.. Otherwise you're just offering an opinion that many of us find suspect based on our experiences.
    1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Originally posted by harman84 View Post
      I got a used sh775 and installed it today and upon startup at idle I was getting over 13 volts. 14.1 at 4000 rpm's. I figured I had fixed the charging issue. I checked it again tonight and it was not charging. I checked the ac output on stator wires and 2 were around 50-55 volts and one had nothing. Could the rr killed my stator?

Before I installed the new rr I was getting over 80 volts on the stator. I hooked 3 yellow wires to the grey plug and red on inside black and ground on outside of the black plug. Any ideas? I don't want to get a new stator and have same result.
      It's unlikely that your stator failed instantly because of the series type R/R as such. I don't have a series R/R but I can say that based on reading many posts...however your description of hookup gives me pause.... You might have done something wrong in the initial hookup.
      Given it's correct, even then It's not unusual that replacing one bad component reveals flaws in the other components because the charging system is inter-dependent.

Also check connections carefully. Also, what bike is this? ie: do you have a "functioning" "headight loop"? stuff like this is stuff you will want to investigate.

Comment

I haven't had time to look at it today. I am thinking maybe my stator was going out. I only have the ground running in the stock wiring with another ground going to battery. The positive goes right to my solenoid which ties into my positive battery cable. I could put it back to stock if needed. Also it is on a 841100.

Comment

Originally posted by harman84 View Post
          I haven't had time to look at it today. I am thinking maybe my stator was going out. I only have the ground running in the stock wiring with another ground going to battery. The positive goes right to my solenoid which ties into my positive battery cable. I could put it back to stock if needed. Also it is on a 841100.
          Crappy connections will not cause the failure with an SH-775, only lower voltages. You should follow recommenced connections however.

Comment

maybe my stator was going out
            yes, it sounds like it. I've yet to buy a 2nd hand Suzuki from the 80's without replacing the stator pretty soon after, but don't despair right away. They're easy to replace but expensive so try everything else first and be sure that's the problem.
            ....and of course sometimes you can limp along with a partially bad one and a disconnected headlight while you tune other things but it's risky riding anywhere in traffic without a headlight.

Comment

This is a study I did back in about 2010 comparing the stator current using a MOSFET R/R (FH012AA)and a Compufire Series R/R. There is clearlyy a big difference with the stator current being much lower using Series Mode control(Compufire or SH-775). This current difference is what smokes the stators. There is about 80% more (15 v.s. 27 amps) much current and 3.2x as much power (120 v.s. 350 watts).

SHUNT_vs_SERIES_RR_Compare_Tutorial
              Last edited by posplayr; 11-19-2016, 04:14 PM.

Comment

Maybe we're comparing apples and oranges here. I seem to recall online sellers offering a MOSFET unit as the official replacement for the Polaris 775. Cost saving or service failures?
                At a guess the charging regime of an ATV is different.
                97 R1100R
                Previous
                80 GS850G, 79 Z400B, 85 R100RT, 80 Z650D, 76 CB200

Comment

Originally posted by Brendan W View Post
                  Maybe we're comparing apples and oranges here. I seem to recall online sellers offering a MOSFET unit as the official replacement for the Polaris 775. Cost saving or service failures?
                  At a guess the charging regime of an ATV is different.
                  Yes clearly whatever DohcBikes is reporting does not apply to GS's.

Comment

Ha. Clearly you are the end all authority.

So here we have another member saying mosfet is marketed as a 775 replacement.

Hmm.

Comment

Originally posted by DohcBikes View Post
                      Ha. Clearly you are the end all authority.

So here we have another member saying mosfet is marketed as a 775 replacement.

Hmm.
                      Dude, the guy is a electrical engineer. I think he knows what he's talking about....

The first thing I do when I buy a GS is get a new stator, SH-775 R/R and a new battery. I put 25,000 on my 850G and 11,000 on the 1000e. I never had any problems... (knock on wood)
                      Last edited by storm 64; 11-19-2016, 05:41 PM.
                      My Motorcycles:
                      22 Kawasaki Z900 RS (Candy Tone Blue)
                      22 BMW K1600GT (Probably been to a town near you)
                      82 1100e Drag Bike (needs race engine)
                      81 1100e Street Bike (with race engine)
                      79 1000e (all original)
                      82 850g (all original)
                      80 KZ 650F (needs restored)

Comment

i don't get it, your just running off man. one of the first things I did was change out r/r, stator and never thought of it again. these guys here are experts of gs, not your bro who works with quads for farmer brown. looks like your just here in general to throw stones man. serious

Comment

I appreciate the personal insults. Classy.

Comment

Originally posted by Gorminrider View Post
                            yes, it sounds like it. I've yet to buy a 2nd hand Suzuki from the 80's without replacing the stator pretty soon after, but don't despair right away. They're easy to replace but expensive so try everything else first and be sure that's the problem.
                            ....and of course sometimes you can limp along with a partially bad one and a disconnected headlight while you tune other things but it's risky riding anywhere in traffic without a headlight.
                            I currently own four 80s GS and one 70s. I've owned and disposed of more than that many. In the last decade, I've only tested the voltage on one and found that it was charging correctly. I've only had a couple that didn't show indications of overheating at the stator bullet connectors and R/R outlet bullet connector. Some connector cleaning, and connector elimination (I prefer a soldered joint now) and a used Shindengen shunt type R/R off of a Gold wing is all I've ever done. I've never had a stator go bad. I bought a replacement stator once because when I performed tests, I did not have proper connection between the probe and the stator connector.

I believe that some of that is probably luck, but not all of it. It may be a factor that I rarely cruise at over 65 mph, so I'm rarely at the full output of the stator for extended periods. I generally tour on back roads.
                            sigpic Too old, too many bikes, too many cars, too many things

Comment

Yep ^ thats because the problem isnt a certain type of reg rec its just the Suzuki ones that are the issue. All this 775 business has been overthought and overpromoted as a fix. Its not farmer browns atv its a multi million dollar multiline dealership that sells bikes and quads. I bought my first of several gsgs' there. Im also a kawi tech not a hobbyist. The polaris/victory regrecs go bad all the time.
                              Last edited by Guest; 11-19-2016, 07:35 PM.

Comment

There is a RR problem with Polaris, there is a recall, and it is NOT the SH775 causing the problem
                                Bulletin: https://www.productsafety.gov.au/sys...eplacement.pdf

OEM Regulator: http://www.polarispartspitstop.com/o...-z15vdk99aa-au
                                #18 in the diagram 50A Series

The Polaris one appears to be made by a company called Trombetta, here is a pic:
                                https://www.amazon.com/Polaris-Regul.../dp/B015EOZUY2 (This is the "Upgraded" part)

Keep in mind these guys are running 40" light bars, winches, and burning up a lot of juice.
                                sigpic
                                09 Kaw C14 Rocket powered Barcalounger
                                1983 GS1100e
                                82\83 1100e Frankenbike
                                1980 GS1260
                                Previous 65 Suzuki 80 Scrambler, 76 KZ900, 02 GSF1200S, 81 GS1100e, 80 GS850G

Comment

Working...
                                X