Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Series R/R installations at the GSR

UPDATE 12/23/2016
    Sorry I was not aware there was such an animal as 55403. It is rated as 40 amps and IIRC the 55402 is 35 amps. I have no first hand knowledge bu t did read this thread that is more recent from 2014 taking about issues at higher RPM with the Series R/Rs.

I have never seen this type of issue, but would not rule it out especially with the number of reports. I would generally always shift before 10K on my GS1100E and only was there for a sustained period to about 10.5K while jetting with an O2 sensor. These are all non-GS reports so if it is happening on a GS it is probably very temporary.

The Compufires were designed for Harleys which seem to redline at closer to 6K RPM. GS RPM ranges don't seem to be any problem but maybe a Ducati is ?

http://www.triumphrat.net/speed-trip...rmation-6.html
    This is a poll to capture the service life of the Series R/R installations at the GSR. Pick those that apply to you; you can vote more than option but dont think you can vote for a single option more than once.

Little Background/History:

It has been about 6 years since the Series R/Rs have gone mainstream on the GSR as well as other websites around the internet. Some cottage industry manufactures (Cycle Electric and Compufire) have been building series R/Rs for the Harley Davidson market, but this was relatively unknown.

The Honda 6 wire R/R's promoted by Duaneage were also a popular inexpensive alternative that offered significantly better reliability despite also being a shunt R/R.

In about this same time frame, the MOSFET R/R's were becoming popular as well as a better replacement to the OEM R/Rs. These are all still SHUNT R/R. I had a MOSFET R/R installed and had almost immediate heating damage to a baby blue Electrosport stator after just 250 miles ride.

Searching for a solution, an acquaintance mentioned these Harley series R/Rs to me and so I bought the Compufire and tested it against the FH012AA MOSFET R/R I had. The results of the tests are shown here:

SHUNT_vs_SERIES_RR_Compare_Tutorial

It was clear (by direct measurement) that the Compufire dramatically reduced the stator current.

I strongly promoted The Compufire as a drop in replacement for the typical GS to address the chronic charging system problems of Permanent Magnet Alternators on most motorcycles(the ones on all GS's). These are in contrast to Field Controlled alternators (like on the GSXR and other large touring bikes).

Sometime in about 2012 the Shindengen OEM Series R/Rs started to become available and the SH-775 was the first in the line offering the first mass produced Series R/R with associated cost reductions as well as large used market due to the number of OEM units sold.

GS Stator

Related Polls

These are the three polls to help get some statistics on Field information about charging systems.

"Honda R/R Users Poll"

Poll for Compufire R/R Users

Fried Stator Poll

This poll is dedicated to DOHCBikes

http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...44#post2348944
    Never Installed a Series R/R
    12.96%
    Never Installed a Series R/R but plan in the future
    7.41%
    Installed Compufire: all is good (including used stators)
    14.81%
    Installed Compufire: it failed
    1.85%
    Installed Compufire: new stator failed
    0%
    Installed SH-775: all is good (including used stators)
    62.96%
    Installed SH-775: it failed
    0%
    Installed SH-775:new stator failed
    0%
    Installed Other SERIES R/R
    0%
    Last edited by posplayr; 12-23-2016, 04:06 PM.

I've been advised to update and replace the original R/R on my "T" and have not done so. Will I? More than likely. I haven't had any issues to make immediate R2 (Remove/Replace)...but it's on my "to do list". (As are many other things)

Ed
    GS750TZ V&H/4-1, Progressive Shocks, Rebuilt MC/braided line, Tarozzi Stabilizer[Seq#2312]
    GS750TZ Parts Bike [Seq#6036]
    GSX-R750Y (Sold)

my opinion shouldn't be taken as gospel or in any way that would lead you to believe otherwise (30Sep2021)
    Originally posted by GSXR7ED
    Forums are pretty much unrecognizable conversations; simply because it's a smorgasbord of feedback...from people we don't know. It's not too difficult to ignore the things that need to be bypassed.

Comment

I screwed up my own Vote on teh Polls :Sorry be careful how you vote.

Comment

Installed 775 over the summer, so far so good, perfect voltages.

Last year this time letting the bike sit a week the battery was dead, now it starts right up easily, best upgrade done so far.

Comment

Holy dead horse Batman. Somebody is obsessive.

All this poll tells you is how often people from this site use the 775. It only makes sense that many here use it, considering how often it gets recommended.

There are lots of good reg recs.

Just sharing my experience. Lots of warranty claims on the 775 means to me that id rather use mosfet. As long as you guys are having fun though.

Comment

I have installed 5 with no problems. Voltage is rock solid from just above idle to redline, runs very cool. Can't speak to oil temperature because it varies so much depending on conditions and I have not done an A-B test.
            sigpic
            09 Kaw C14 Rocket powered Barcalounger
            1983 GS1100e
            82\83 1100e Frankenbike
            1980 GS1260
            Previous 65 Suzuki 80 Scrambler, 76 KZ900, 02 GSF1200S, 81 GS1100e, 80 GS850G

Comment

Originally posted by DohcBikes View Post
              Holy dead horse Batman. Somebody is obsessive.

All this poll tells you is how often people from this site use the 775. It only makes sense that many here use it, considering how often it gets recommended.

There are lots of good reg recs.

Just sharing my experience. Lots of warranty claims on the 775 means to me that id rather use mosfet. As long as you guys are having fun though.

The warranty claims are NOT on the 775, they are on its replacement. See your other whiny thread.
              sigpic
              09 Kaw C14 Rocket powered Barcalounger
              1983 GS1100e
              82\83 1100e Frankenbike
              1980 GS1260
              Previous 65 Suzuki 80 Scrambler, 76 KZ900, 02 GSF1200S, 81 GS1100e, 80 GS850G

Comment

I have a SH775 on two bikes with no issues to date (first one installed in 2014).
                Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
                1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
                2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
                Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
                and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

Originally posted by bobgroger View Post
                  The warranty claims are NOT on the 775, they are on its replacement.
                  Not the claims i'm referring to. What you show is a bulletin, not a list of warranty claims on a 775. Its information inserted in attempt to steer the perception, but in reality has nothing to do with anything in this case.

Comment

"Do you love me, and do you wanna be my friend? Check yes or no!"

Thats what this reminds me of, figured it was worth mentioning.

I hope you guys are having a great sunday. Im going back out for another ride. On a gs with a mosfet regrec. Wish me luck.

Comment

I've seen the claim of 775 failures before, on a V-Strom site. What I read involved original equipment failure on Polaris products.

The DL's & SV's tend to exhibit the same stator problems as the GS's (and probably every other permanent magnet 3-phase system), and the installation of a series R/R is considered a reasonable move.

I'd like to see the source of the claim, and the numbers.
                      It's not that I don't want to believe bad news; I just don't want worry induced by some baseless line of BS. I've used the 775 in my GS1000 (currently in Simon's possession, and apparently still functioning OK) and I have one to install in my V-Strom 650 to preemptively help keep its rather pricey ($220) stator alive.
                      and God said, "Let there be air compressors!"
                      __________________________________________________ ______________________
                      2009 Suzuki DL650 V-Strom, 2004 HondaPotamus sigpic Git'cha O-ring Kits Here!

Comment

Originally posted by robertbarr View Post
                        I'd like to see the source of the claim, and the numbers. It's not that I don't want to believe bad news; I just don't want worry induced by some baseless line of BS. I've used the 775 in my GS1000 (currently in Simon's possession, and apparently still functioning OK) and I have one to install in my V-Strom 650 to preemptively help keep its rather pricey ($220) stator alive.
                        Don't hold your breath Robert as I asked twice in the other thread that he made the claims and have yet to receive a response.
                        Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
                        1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
                        2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
                        Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
                        and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

bump .......................

Comment

Originally posted by posplayr View Post

Comment

I'm not sure if this should go here or not but as word for those considering moving to a series r/r I shopped around all week and the cheapest place I could find an SH775 was from motorsport.com for ~ $84. My local Polaris dealer wanted $180. All the other online sources referred to on here also were well over $100.

Once I'm finished with the install I'll post my results on the poll here. Thanks to all for your help in keeping us up to date on this great info!

Alex

Comment

Working...
                              X