No announcement yet.

Series R/R installations at the GSR

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well, I bought my bike with charging issues. Frying one stator convinced me to heed advice found here. I found an install kit w/the 775 that was plug and play. No issues since. The bike will sit for a couple weeks or more, and start right up each and every time. I don't even use my tender anymore.

1982 GS1100 G converted by Motorcyclist magazine in 1986 to be a tribute to the Wes Cooley replica. 1982 Honda 900F. 1997 Yamaha VMax.
    Also owned: 1973 Kawasaki Z1 900, 1972 Honda 750 K, 1976 Yamaha XS 650, 1980 Kawasaki KZ 1000 MKII, 1978 Kawasaki SR 650. Current cage is a 2001 Mustang Bullitt in Dark Highland Green. Bought new in Sept. 2001.

Comment

I installed a SH775 on my 1100g and a new stator in August of 2014 and to date I have 20k miles on it. I've checked a couple of times each summer and it charges the same as when it was new. Knock on wood.

cg
      sigpic
      83 GS1100g
      2006 Triumph Sprint ST 1050

Ohhhh!........Torque sweet Temptress.........always whispering.... a murmuring Siren

Comment

I haven't had any problems with my GS's electrical systems. I have been running Honda R/R's on them both for several years. If anything screws up in the future, I'll go with the SH775.

Comment

DOHC bikes is on the banned users list......
          And I voted as planning to switch to series.
          sigpic
          When consulting the magic 8 ball for advice, one must first ask it "will your answers be accurate?"

Glen
          -85 1150 es - Plus size supermodel.
          -Rusty old scooter.
          Other things I like to photograph.....instagram.com/gs_junkie
          https://www.instagram.com/glen_brenner/
          https://www.flickr.com/photos/152267...7713345317771/

Comment

It's well over a year since the charging on mine started playing up. Without even opening the case I bought a 775 and a used stator from a scrappy. He threw in a bag of Suzuki r/rs for free saying good luck finding a good one, they are all crap.
            Turned out the stator was a no-name job that put out about 50 V ac between legs. With the 775 it kept the bike charged,
            All that was wrong the the old ND stator was a PO had used bullet connectors for the phase wires inside the case with no insulation and they were shorting. Two of them burned really bad.
            I swapped the tail from the new stator, have my 80 Volts back and it's all good so far.
            Bought it in Ireland from an ATV dealer on a tip from Grimly, just over 100 yoyos including postage.
            Waiting for the 775 to be delivered I tried the old five wire r/r of unknown provenance with the new stator. It still worked. However I didn't want to chance it having taken some hit from the shorted phase wires and replaced it. Two of the r/rs in the free bag also worked.
            Last edited by Brendan W; 12-03-2016, 06:10 AM.
            97 R1100R
            Previous
            80 GS850G, 79 Z400B, 85 R100RT, 80 Z650D, 76 CB200

Comment

bump: I posted an update to the first post.

Nothing to be worried about for GS owners, but putting a Series R/R on high RPM bikes could cause issues.

If you can't use a Series R/R on a high RPM bike, then a oil sprayer might be a best alternative. There is nothing worng with a sprayer on a GS either, probably works about as well as an oil cooler.
              Last edited by posplayr; 12-23-2016, 04:09 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by dorkburger View Post
                Ohhhh, so he got banned from this thread for his comments? Interesting.

Ed
                GS750TZ V&H/4-1, Progressive Shocks, Rebuilt MC/braided line, Tarozzi Stabilizer[Seq#2312]
                GS750TZ Parts Bike [Seq#6036]
                GSX-R750Y (Sold)

my opinion shouldn't be taken as gospel or in any way that would lead you to believe otherwise (30Sep2021)
                Originally posted by GSXR7ED
                Forums are pretty much unrecognizable conversations; simply because it's a smorgasbord of feedback...from people we don't know. It's not too difficult to ignore the things that need to be bypassed.

Comment

...please focus on the thread's topic, or the content of the bump post...
                  #1: 1979 GS 550 EC "Red" – Very first Bike / Overhaul thread        New here? ☛ Read the Top 10 Newbie mistakes thread
                  #2: 1978 GS 550 EC "Blue" – Can't make it a donor / "Rebuild" thread     Manuals (and much more): See Cliff's homepage here
                  #3: 2014 Moto Guzzi V7 II Racer – One needs a runner while wrenching
                  #4: 1980 Moto Guzzi V65C – Something to chill

Comment

This

Originally posted by dorkburger View Post
                    This

Originally posted by GSXR7ED View Post

Ed
                    Originally posted by roeme View Post
                    ...please focus on the thread's topic, or the content of the bump post...
                    Let me add, I plan on changing my R/R at a later date. I voted that too.

Disregard Sidebar comment.

Ed
                    GS750TZ V&H/4-1, Progressive Shocks, Rebuilt MC/braided line, Tarozzi Stabilizer[Seq#2312]
                    GSX-R750Y (Sold)

my opinion shouldn't be taken as gospel or in any way that would lead you to believe otherwise (30Sep2021)
                    Forums are pretty much unrecognizable conversations; simply because it's a smorgasbord of feedback...from people we don't know. It's not too difficult to ignore the things that need to be bypassed.

Comment

Ed
                      Pretty sure he got banned for his behavior and as far as I can tell it was well deserved. He has been back, but not sure he has totally corrected his behavior problems. While I agree with the banning, it was " the mods that did it"

Comment

Originally posted by posplayr View Post
                        Pretty sure he got banned for his behavior and as far as I can tell it was well deserved. He has been back, but not sure he has totally corrected his behavior problems. While I agree with the banning, it was " the mods that did it"
                        Well, as long as we talk about the R/R I guess we can continue this dialogue. If I haven't encountered any problems with my OEM R/R, do I need to change it?

As for opening remarks, I'm not going to give an opinion about said behavior. Everyone is entitled to their thoughts, even if it veers off course...Like I have a tendency to do.

It's not a bad thing...In my eyes. I like writing my thoughts here because I don't keep a journal or diary. It's for all to read if they feel so inclined...Otherwise, bypass it.

Ed
                        GSX-R750Y (Sold)

Comment

Thoughts are not an issue as far I know in regard to the TOS of the website, behavior is.

If I haven't encountered any problems with my OEM R/R, do I need to change it?
                          As you can see from the poll results, some people are lucky in the combination of how they ride and what they ride and they have few if any issues. Many other people however do have issue and based on the polls the people with perfect records are in the minority. You can pop a stator cover and see if you are burning your stator and then decide.

Or do nothing and wait to see if it fails.

Comment

Originally posted by posplayr View Post
                            If I haven't encountered any problems with my OEM R/R, do I need to change it?
                            As you can see from the poll results, some people are lucky in the combination of how they ride and what they ride and they have few if any issues. Many other people however do have issue and based on the polls the people with perfect records are in the minority. You can pop a stator cover and see if you are burning your stator and then decide.

Or do nothing and wait to see if it fails.
                            Hm, how about we write small How-To on how answer that question with a multimeter?

When I got my first GS, it was initially good (enough) per the stator quick test. Later on it began to drain the battery, and ate one completely.

Diode testing at this point - I skipped the quick test, with the newly learned stuff assuming the R/R faulty - showed one rectifier diode completely dead, one on it's way out, all others good. Shunt was also buggered.

Testing with a multimeter could maybe catch such a gradual failure early?
                            #1: 1979 GS 550 EC "Red" – Very first Bike / Overhaul thread        New here? ☛ Read the Top 10 Newbie mistakes thread
                            #2: 1978 GS 550 EC "Blue" – Can't make it a donor / "Rebuild" thread     Manuals (and much more): See Cliff's homepage here
                            #3: 2014 Moto Guzzi V7 II Racer – One needs a runner while wrenching
                            #4: 1980 Moto Guzzi V65C – Something to chill

Comment

Originally posted by roeme View Post
                              Hm, how about we write small How-To on how answer that question with a multimeter?

When I got my first GS, it was initially good (enough) per the stator quick test. Later on it began to drain the battery, and ate one completely.

Diode testing at this point - I skipped the quick test, with the newly learned stuff assuming the R/R faulty - showed one rectifier diode completely dead, one on it's way out, all others good. Shunt was also buggered.

Testing with a multimeter could maybe catch such a gradual failure early?
                              Did you not follow written procedures (Quick Test, Phase C of the Stator Pages) to diagnose your own problems?

There is already an abundance of "hand holding" in all of these test description and I fear that even more will just loose the typical reader even more, but perhaps I' m not a good judge of what that should look like or what is most understandable.

Maybe an "idiot's guide to the guides"?

BTW: The diode tests will only work on old style Shunt R/Rs (not MOSFET or SERIES devices)
                              Last edited by posplayr; 12-24-2016, 12:48 PM.

Comment

C'mon now Posplayr,

I don't wanna be intimidated or feel as if I can't ask a stupid question. Of course, your reply style means I better have my ducks lined up if I'm going to ask a question.

Seriously, "idiot's guide to the guides"? You know your craft...Some of us have to catch up. (Respectfully stated)

Ed
                                GSX-R750Y (Sold)

Comment

Working...
                                X