Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New Ricks Stator and Regulator and still issues...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by dezlpwr View Post
    No I will ground to negative terminal of battery...
    Ground to SPG-Single Point Ground (or not)

Comment

Originally posted by tom203 View Post
      It's ok, just not great.. Sometime measure what you get at battery after startup- this is when the battery needs the most recharging.Above 14v would be best and then it might taper off as battery is refreshed. This is how mine behaves...( I use an onboard meter)
      That's what I said to the OP, maybe my wording wasn't correct?

I'm no electrical guru, but isn't 13.7v charging your battery? Shouldn't the regulator just give the battery what it needs? I think normal battery voltage is around 12.8v so I would hook up your voltmeter to the battery when it's not running, then fire up the bike and see what it's putting out. I would think that would be when it will be sending a higher voltage to recharge after the draw from the starter, then after a while see if it lowers to what would be needed to maintain the battery. I'm thinking anything between 13.5 and 14.5 would be a normal range for above idle to 5k which is around cruising rpm for most bikes, readings below or above would be when I'm concerned.
      :cool:GSRick
      No God, no peace. Know God, know peace.

Eric Bang RIP 9/5/2018
      Have some bikes ready for us when we meet up.

Comment

Thanks for the replies. I will be doing some more testing today when I have someone else available to assist me. Some of these tests require two people, and I was by myself last night. If it does turn out to be a bad R/R, this makes me a little leery of Rick's products and their reliability and quality control. I paid $120 for their "Hot Shot" regulator and IF it turns out to be DOA, my confidence in their products will be low. From the research I did prior to purchase, it seems like people have been generally happy with their products. I will keep everyone posted.
        If it is a bad or defective product, don't write Ricks off on just one bad item. I've heard they stand by their products.

Eric Bang RIP 9/5/2018

Comment

Originally posted by posplayr View Post
          What is this foreign language you speak of?
          I ordered the used Polaris R/R on EBay from the link and a triumph wiring harness. Anything else I need?

Comment

No I will ground to negative terminal of battery...
            hence Posplayr comment
            just FYI ... he is THE man
            1100 Katana / 1100 ES

pragmatic not dogmatic

Comment

Originally posted by ptegsotic View Post
              hence Posplayr comment
              just FYI ... he is THE man
              I don't know what SPG means... Sorry for my ignorance.

Comment

I don't know what SPG means... Sorry for my ignorance.
                Just read closer.

It would be a point on the frame that all ground wires are secured to.

Eric Bang RIP 9/5/2018

Comment

Originally posted by gsrick View Post
                  Just read closer.

It would be a point on the frame that all ground wires are secured to.
                  The same point that I was told to avoid and mount directly to the negative terminal of the battery? 😳

Comment

If your battery has been grounded to the frame, which it should be, then it is really doing the same thing. You're basically turning your frame into a big wire. Some components like ignition coils, starters, starter relays don't have ground wires, so the ground goes through the frame directly or through the engine case then to the frame. What I think they are implying is the a direct ground to the negative post, will eliminate a possible bad ground through the frame. Everything electrical has to have a path back to the negative side of the battery, this would just be shortening the path.

Eric Bang RIP 9/5/2018

Comment

Originally posted by gsrick View Post
                      If your battery has been grounded to the frame, which it should be, then it is really doing the same thing. You're basically turning your frame into a big wire. Some components like ignition coils, starters, starter relays don't have ground wires, so the ground goes through the frame directly or through the engine case then to the frame. What I think they are implying is the a direct ground to the negative post, will eliminate a possible bad ground through the frame. Everything electrical has to have a path back to the negative side of the battery, this would just be shortening the path.
                      Guess what , the current does not return to the battery unless the battery is the source . When you are charging the battery cannot be the source!!! The R/r is the primary source so how does current get back to it?? What is the best way?? See the SPG configuration I described in gs charging health.

Comment

Just making sure the R/R is well grounded is 90% of the battle. Single point ground, ground to the frame, straight to the battery, whatever. I say keep it simple and then we will have a chance that people will actually follow. The real problem with our GS bikes is that Suzuki used very poor grounds for the R/R on many models. For example: grounding the R/R to the battery box that's rubber mounted or to a small screw that attaches to the frame (and corrodes).
                        Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Originally posted by Nessism View Post
                          Just making sure the R/R is well grounded is 90% of the battle. Single point ground, ground to the frame, straight to the battery, whatever. I say keep it simple and then we will have a chance that people will actually follow. The real problem with our GS bikes is that Suzuki used very poor grounds for the R/R on many models. For example: grounding the R/R to the battery box that's rubber mounted or to a small screw that attaches to the frame (and corrodes).
                          Yes OP really seems to have difficulty reading about electrcial stuff so for him the battery may be the only safe option.

Comment

Guess what , the current does not return to the battery unless the battery is the source . When you are charging the battery cannot be the source!!! The R/r is the primary source so how does current get back to it?? What is the best way?? See the SPG configuration I described in gs charging health.
                            And everything other than the stator uses the battery as the source. Right. I'm referring to basic wiring harness and components.

Does everything have to be a one up ****ing match? This why I don't bother replying in the regular forum. In the Vortex it's expected.

Eric Bang RIP 9/5/2018

Comment

Yes OP really seems to have difficulty reading about electrcial stuff so for him the battery may be the only safe option.
                              Haha, you guys are harsh but I have thick skin so no worries, keep it coming! 😎 I appreciate all the help. Will post back with an update once I install the used RZR regulator I bought on EBay (thanks for the link) and Triumph harness mounted to a SINGLE POINT GROUND. 😜 My bike is like new with no rust or corrosion anywhere, so finding a SPG should be easy, even for this dummy... 👍👍

Comment

Anyone want to buy a almost new Rick's Hotshot Regulator for dirt cheap? 😎 Lol

Comment

Working...
                                X