Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New Ricks Stator and Regulator and still issues...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by gsrick View Post
    And everything other than the stator uses the battery as the source. Right. I'm referring to basic wiring harness and components.

Does everything have to be a one up ****ing match? This why I don't bother replying in the regular forum. In the Vortex it's expected.
    When the charging system voltage exceeds the battery's resting voltage (12.8v nominal) then the battery is a load(it consumes charging current) not a source.
    In this condition the only source is the charging system with all of the current coming from R/R(+) and all of that current must return to R/R(-).So grounding the R/(-) to the battery(-) only forces all currents to return via paths that go to the Battery(-) before returning to R/R(-).

You might ask what is wrong with that? From a charging perspective you want to keep the voltage across the R/R and battery identical. Some loses are expected but they can be minimized by only having battery charging currents running between the BAT(-) and R/R(-). You cant quite do that the becuase all current go to R/R(-) but what you can do is create a SPG that is close to the R/R(-) (using a heavy 14awg wire) and then run all grounds to there before jumping on through the heavy 14 AWG wire that is very short. In this situation there is only 4 amps returning from the battery while the other 10 or so amps are returning to the SPG bypassing the battery.

Net result is improved charging becuase the R/R and battery voltages are closer together as can be verified by the Phase A voltage drop testing.

Comment

Originally posted by dezlpwr View Post
      Haha, you guys are harsh but I have thick skin so no worries, keep it coming!  I appreciate all the help. Will post back with an update once I install the used RZR regulator I bought on EBay (thanks for the link) and Triumph harness mounted to a SINGLE POINT GROUND.  My bike is like new with no rust or corrosion anywhere, so finding a SPG should be easy, even for this dummy... 

Comment

Anyone want to buy a almost new Rick's Hotshot Regulator for dirt cheap?  Lol
        Have you contacted Rick's about your R/R?
        :cool:GSRick
        No God, no peace. Know God, know peace.

Eric Bang RIP 9/5/2018
        Have some bikes ready for us when we meet up.

Comment

Have you contacted Rick's about your R/R?
          Sure have. They said to send it back on my dime (5 days each way) and they will test it. If bad, they will send me a new one. But according to the experts on here, the Rick's Hot Shot mosfet regulator is a stator killer on these bikes so I will let someone else run it and kill their stator. 😎

Comment

Sure have. They said to send it back on my dime (5 days each way) and they will test it. If bad, they will send me a new one. But according to the experts on here, the Rick's Hot Shot mosfet regulator is a stator killer on these bikes so I will let someone else run it and kill their stator. 
            No, send it back and let them test, curious what they come up with. If bad they send you a new one and then sell it

Comment

Originally posted by nejeff View Post
              No, send it back and let them test, curious what they come up with. If bad they send you a new one and then sell it
              That's what I would do. Not many companies will take electronics back. I heard they do and if they will, I'd do it. Let them rectify the issue. If you're still determined not to use their product then ask for a refund or sell the new one. Why would you sell something to someone else, if you think it's no good.
              :cool:GSRick
              No God, no peace. Know God, know peace.

Eric Bang RIP 9/5/2018
              Have some bikes ready for us when we meet up.

Comment

Originally posted by nejeff View Post
                Yes sir, that's what I will do. Stay tuned for the EBay auction... 😎👍

Comment

That's what I would do. Not many companies will take electronics back. I heard they do and if they will, I'd do it. Let them rectify the issue. If you're still determined not to use their product then ask for a refund or sell the new one. Why would you sell something to someone else, if you think it's no good.
                  Sounds like they should regulate the issue too...
                  "Men will never be free until Mark learns to do The Twist."

-Denis D'shaker

79 GS750N

Comment

Originally posted by Allie View Post
                    Sounds like they should regulate the issue too...
                    Shunt have done that .........

As there has been a series of posts on this topic.
                    Last edited by posplayr; 12-02-2016, 01:01 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by posplayr View Post
                      Shunt have done that .........

As there has been a series of posts on this topic.
                      I just about diode fromos fet of laughter at that.
                      "Men will never be free until Mark learns to do The Twist."

-Denis D'shaker

79 GS750N

Comment

I have a Rick's Stator and a used Polaris regulator from eBay, and it works unbelievably well. My bike charges well at idle, and the starter motor turns with gusto every time I try it.

Comment

Just an update as I have been busy working and working on the bike. Re-did all of the charging wiring and went to a SPG. All is great. Thanks to everyone for your help. Still running the stock used R/R, but have the SH775 in hand and the Polaris adapter harness. Was planning on running the stator wires directly to the SH775 and the ground to the SPG, and the positive lead directly to the positive terminal of the battery with an inline 15A fuse. Any problems with this? Should I wait for the used stock R/R to die or is the SH775 a good upgrade? Charging system is up to spec right now with the stock R/R and new Rick's stator.

** I've been a busy man lately. In the last couple months I have also done the following to the bike:
                          valve adjustment, carb sync, rebuilt all brake calipers, rebuilt all master cylinders, new EBC brake pads front and rear, new stainless brake lines front and rear, new clutch springs, 116db LOUD Hella horns installed, and last but not least, did a 530 chain and sprocket conversion to a DID 530 X-Ring chain. I'm sure I'm forgetting a few other things. 😎 Just need to install new tires front and rear and I am done. Bike runs killer, like new, and runs like a scalded ape with the 530 conversion! 👍

Thanks again to everyone on here for the help. 👍

Comment

The prices have obviously gone up since 2014...  I did not wire the r/r directly to the stator. Not sure how to do that? Just not connect anything to the factory wire harness? 
                            When I got a new stator, I wired it directly to the r/r, and it fried the stator. I think you have to have the Sh775 type r/r to do that. I also bought a kit on the internet that came with new SH775 regulator and the necessary connections. It was an easy plug and play. Of course, I had to buy a new stator as well.
                            https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4442/...678005be58.jpg

1982 GS1100 G converted by Motorcyclist magazine in 1986 to be a tribute to the Wes Cooley replica. 1982 Honda 900F. 1997 Yamaha VMax.
                            Also owned: 1973 Kawasaki Z1 900, 1972 Honda 750 K, 1976 Yamaha XS 650, 1980 Kawasaki KZ 1000 MKII, 1978 Kawasaki SR 650. Current cage is a 2001 Mustang Bullitt in Dark Highland Green. Bought new in Sept. 2001.

Comment

Yes, wire the stator wires directly to the R/R, positive to the battery with a 15 or 20amp fuse, and the ground to your single point or to the battery. Be sure to connect the white/green and white/red wires together also.
                              Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
                              1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
                              2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
                              Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
                              and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

Originally posted by cowboyup3371 View Post
                                Yes, wire the stator wires directly to the R/R, positive to the battery with a 15 or 20amp fuse, and the ground to your single point or to the battery. Be sure to connect the white/green and white/red wires together also.

Oldmythsneverdieapparently20-25ampwhendirecttothebattery

Comment

Working...
                                X