Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New Ricks Stator and Regulator and still issues...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by posplayr View Post
    Oldmythsneverdieapparently20-25ampwhendirecttothebattery
    ihavea20ampbutif25isbettersobeit

Not sure why you wrote it that way but I didn't want to go too far over in case of misspeaking. Course I misspoke any way so listen to Posplayer as he is the best person to speak of electrical
    Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
    1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
    2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
    Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
    and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

Originally posted by cowboyup3371 View Post
      ihavea20ampbutif25isbettersobeit

Not sure why you wrote it that way but I didn't want to go too far over in case of misspeaking. Course I misspoke any way so listen to Posplayer as he is the best person to speak of electrical
      I started a thread sometime back contrasting the direct battery connection to retaining the stock configuration. In fact it was so far back I can't even find the thread again although someone here probably has it bookmarked.

In a nutshell you should retain the stock wiring to the red wire in the harness and not go direct to the battery if you can help it. This is discussed in GS Charging System Health.

I'm writing the draft of a book right now that deals with in many senses the issue of "persistent tribal knowledge" in an organization. "Tribal Knowledge" is a term used to describe the unwritten but common knowledge among the long term members of an organization. In olden days, tribes used to hand down knowledge, generation to generation, by word of mouth; this is how knowledge was retained and built on in primitive times.

Here at the GSR that "Tribal Knowledge" is also passed down by word of the internet, but is also embodied in the past posts. As we know the search features are flawed and so it is difficulty to find things (certainly compared to google as an example).

My comments was in relation to how fast old myths can seem to regain preponderance in this medium we call the internet(in this case direct battery connection of the R/R). Acquired knowledge is easily lost by "word of post". People have too little time to study and simply want the quick answer so they can go about their priorities.

The simple answers are the popular answers and those are the ones most often repeated. If there were a noticeable issue with that answer the crowd behaviour would eventually (read a long time just maybe) shun that problematic too simple solution in deference to a "better simple" solution.

Unfortunately most people's attention span is so short that any longer term problems of simple solution do not register and popularity becomes preponderance rather that "best practice". At least there is a constant struggle here at the GSR between popularity and best practice.
      Last edited by posplayr; 01-10-2017, 10:59 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by cowboyup3371 View Post
        Be sure to connect the white/green and white/red wires together also.
        I have never heard of doing this before. What does this accomplish, and what happens if I don't do this?

Comment

Originally posted by dezlpwr View Post
          I have never heard of doing this before. What does this accomplish, and what happens if I don't do this?
          It does nothing and is another myth!

Both become spare unused wires that can used to route signals from the front to the back of the bike without opening up or running additional wires.

I use it for Coil relay mods and the standard install for the SSPB (See installations in my signature).
          Last edited by posplayr; 01-11-2017, 12:39 AM.

Comment

It does nothing and is another myth!

Both become spare unused wires that can used to route signals from the front to the back of the bike without opening up or running additional wires.

I use it for Coil relay mods and the standard install for the SSPB (See installations in my signature).
            👍👍 Thanks posplayr!! I was confused there. It is tough to decipher all of the conflicting info on here sometimes. I have read your stator papers a few times and it is starting to sink in now. Thanks for clarifying this. 👍

Comment

 Thanks posplayr!! I was confused there. It is tough to decipher all of the conflicting info on here sometimes. I have read your stator papers a few times and it is starting to sink in now. Thanks for clarifying this. 
              If you look at most schematics for a GS you will find that there is the infamous headlamp loop that kills(opens) one of the stator loops when lights are off. Since in the U.S. post 1981 there are no handlebar light switches the loop has no effect. Suzuki left the loops in for compatibility with other GS international sales.

Comment

If you look at most schematics for a GS you will find that there is the infamous headlamp loop that kills(opens) one of the stator loops when lights are off. Since in the U.S. post 1981 there are no handlebar light switches the loop has no effect. Suzuki left the loops in for compatibility with other GS international sales.
                So I can just tape these wires off until possible further use?

Comment

So I can just tape these wires off until possible further use?
                  yes but it doesn't matter

Comment

Forgot to mention that Rick's told me that their HotShot regulator is a Shunt MOSFET regulator. Are these any good? I think I'm going to sell my Rick's HotShot on EBay and install my SH775. 👍 Sounds like the SH775 is better. 😎
                    Rick's response to my email regarding their Hot Shot regulator:

The 10-221H is a Shunt style rec-reg.
                    The Mosfet Rec-Regs have a cooler running technology than the typical OE designs. They are great for bikes that have charging systems with known overheating issues. There are no other enhancements though logically you should get a bit more usable power out of your stator if you have a Mosfet Rec-Reg installed.

Opinions on this info???

Comment

as to a fuse in the red output from regulator, you have to ask yourself what it is supposed to do....in MY bike's circuit diagram, it would mean the bike would have two fuses inline when it was operating...so it is more connections for one thing.
                      A fuse on the regulators output supposes that you fear that IF the regulators "diodes" (SCR or mosfets) somehow fail/burn out and allow all the battery to be dumped back directly to ground when the fear must be that the wiring involved is going to burn up the bike... The stock wiring does this through one fuse. (the red wires crossing in this diagram or most others are NOT connected unless there's a dot/or blob where they cross) Note that it's 15 amp.
                      BUT look at your own diagram- print one out and use a coloured pencil. Make up your own mind in the end.
                      as an aside, note that in this diagram Suzuki has tied the W/R and WG together already but tieing them together closer to the regulator will save a bit of wiring voltage drop, if you like...
                      Last edited by Gorminrider; 01-11-2017, 01:06 PM.

Comment

Forgot to mention that Rick's told me that their HotShot regulator is a Shunt MOSFET regulator. Are these any good? I think I'm going to sell my Rick's HotShot on EBay and install my SH775.  Sounds like the SH775 is better. 
                        Rick's response to my email regarding their Hot Shot regulator:

The 10-221H is a Shunt style rec-reg.
                        The Mosfet Rec-Regs have a cooler running technology than the typical OE designs. They are great for bikes that have charging systems with known overheating issues. There are no other enhancements though logically you should get a bit more usable power out of your stator if you have a Mosfet Rec-Reg installed.

Opinions on this info???

The Hot tech shot is great for the SHUNT R/R and bad for the stator.

Here is a analogy, the Hot short is like using the hardest wood known to build wooden wheels for your indy race car.

Comment

Originally posted by Gorminrider View Post

BUT look at your own diagram- print one out and use a coloured pencil. Make up your own mind in the end.
                          as an aside, note that in this diagram Suzuki has tied the W/R and WG together already but tieing them together closer to the regulator will save a bit of wiring coltage drop, if you like...

In designing the SSPB I have obtained, printed out and redlined all of the paths you have. There are basically three categories
                          1. Old style split reg and rectified - these need the most requiring but there should always be a fuse between the battery+ and the rest of the electrical.
                          2. The single fuse designs (combined R/R) that have an implicit separation of circuits although not separately fuse
                          3. The multi fuse harnesses with combined R/R.

The guidelines I continually reiterate apply to 2 and 3 above. Most people really do not have the knowledge to figure out what is best and they should just follow the recommended guidelines.

But hey everybody is free to redesign their harness as they see fit...........................................

Comment

The Hot tech shot is great for the SHUNT R/R and bad for the stator.

Here is a analogy, the Hot short is like using the hardest wood known to build wooden wheels for your indy race car.
                            Good analogy. Thx! I'll just put it up on EBay for some other poor chap.😎

Comment

Good analogy. Thx! I'll just put it up on EBay for some other poor chap.
                              I was describing a similar (but more complex) situation to someone and used a similar but far more absurd analogy: "....proclaiming the wheel to be the greatest invention to mankind in order to justify using wooden wheels as wings (it is a transportation medium after all) in an attempt to fly to the moon!!?".

Comment

Working...
                              X