Newtronics

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Newtronics

Hi I know a lot on here have turned to dyna ignition more so as it's a USA product (I think) but does anyone have any experience of the newtronics system ?
    The big guy up there rides a Suzuki (this I know)
    1981 gs850gx

1999 RF900
    past bikes. RF900
    TL1000s
    Hayabusa
    gsx 750f x2
    197cc Francis Barnett
    various British nails

The person you want to have weigh in on this is Posplayr.
    "Thought he, it is a wicked world in all meridians; I'll die a pagan."
    ~Herman Melville

2016 1200 Superlow
    1982 CB900f

Comment

It's the old Piranha system in modern guise. Excellent reputation for reliability and longevity.
      79 GS1000S
      79 GS1000S (another one)
      80 GSX750
      80 GS550
      80 CB650 cafe racer
      75 PC50 - the one with OHV and pedals...
      75 TS100 - being ridden (suicidally) by my father

Comment

Originally posted by hampshirehog View Post
        It's the old Piranha system in modern guise. Excellent reputation for reliability and longevity.
        thanks for the reply I know it was based on the old Piranha system, but newtronics went bust and it is now made by autocar. Just wondering if the system is still good have seen one or two poor reviews but there again I have seen some of Dyna as well.
        The big guy up there rides a Suzuki (this I know)
        1981 gs850gx

1999 RF900
        past bikes. RF900
        TL1000s
        Hayabusa
        gsx 750f x2
        197cc Francis Barnett
        various British nails

Comment

Arronduke is having some issues hooking up his SSPB so he has not yet completed the upgrade to the SPARKER TCIP4 version 88

In that thread I commented that the SPARKER TCIP4 version 88 looked like a hell of a deal.

Originally posted by posplayr View Post
          Wow those ignitech systems are really cheap. I would get one of the programmable ones. They are about 1/10 the cost of a Dyna 2000

they claim to provide all of the connectors to modify your harness.

I like these better than Dyna stuff although that is mainly due to appearance.

SSPB has a headlamp cutout and coil relay mod incorporated. Just follow the directions.

The Newtronics seems to be a very simple device and I'm not sure even how well it is packaged. It looks like an inexpensive (not waterproof, not particularly shock resistant; a huge board) desktop device rather than something more robust you would want to mount on a motorcycle.
          Last edited by posplayr; 12-18-2016, 03:10 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by jabcb

I installed a DynaS in a GS550 a few years ago & much prefer that solution over having to mount a control box someplace.
            The end of the crank is a severe environment for electronics; the Dyna-S reliability suffers from this factor.

Comment

Standard engineering practice is to stress parts to failure in developmental testing. Typically these elevated stress levels can be related by analysis (using reliability engineering principles) to predict expected reliability under more benign environments (like actual operating environments). So yes environment is a dominate 1st order factor/effect in determining electronics reliability.

You can design for it or not. One thing the board above has going for it is that it is using large through hole parts which are more robust than much smaller surface mount parts. You can see the yellow RTV glue that was used to hold the capacitors in place. This was a design measure to improve resistance to vibration.

Generally the OEM do not do what these aftermarket guys do. As an example look at the GM HEI units that are mounted inside of a distributor. They are potted robust devices with what is more than likely large bipolar switching devices inside. The smarts of timing is outside the distributor in a ECU or other timing device. I think the original devices just use a magnetic or hall effect pickup right off the distributor to fire the HEI units.

A highly accelerated life test (HALT), is a stress testing methodology for enhancing product reliability. HALT testing is currently in use by most major manufacturing and research & development organizations to improve product reliability in a variety of industries, including electronics, computer, medical and military.

HALT uses several stress factors (decided by Reliability Test Engineer) and/or the combination of various factors. Commonly used stress factors are Temperature, Vibration, Humidity etc for Electronics and Mechanical Products. Other factors can include Voltage, current, power Cycling and combination of them.

Last edited by posplayr; 12-18-2016, 08:25 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by fastbysuzuki View Post
                Hi I know a lot on here have turned to dyna ignition more so as it's a USA product (I think) but does anyone have any experience of the newtronics system ?
                I've been running a Piranha system for decades (and the PO before me). Never the slightest problem with it, except the stupidly small connector on the pick-up lead which I replaced years ago. This past year I suspected the control box was dodgy, but it was unfounded.
                If Autocar have improved it, then so much the better - it should last a century.
                UKJules bought one recently, and it's served him well, taking him all over Europe.
                Last edited by Grimly; 12-18-2016, 09:56 PM.
                ---- Dave
                79 GS850N - Might be a trike soon.
                80 GS850T Single HIF38 S.U. SH775, Tow bar, Pantera II. Gnarly workhorse & daily driver.
                79 XS650SE - Pragmatic Ratter - goes better than a manky old twin should.
                92 XJ900F - Fairly Stock, for now.

Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist sticks his head out of a car window

Comment

Piranha on mine. Been there for a long while by the look of it and it's just not on the radar ever.
                  Control box is glued to the rear wheel plastic splash guard under the seat behind the battery.
                  97 R1100R
                  Previous
                  80 GS850G, 79 Z400B, 85 R100RT, 80 Z650D, 76 CB200

Comment

Would it be possible to coat the whole board in a type of epoxy like they used in Satellite boards or something like they seal C.D.I. boxes and regulator/rectifiers? To protect them from vibration, moisture, and heat. I had a friend that used to modify Satellite boards to get all the channels and PPV's and he would heat it and then slowly shave the epoxy down to the components then modify them. He said it was a very tough and very durable compound they used. Just an idea.
                    sigpic 82 gs1100ez 1168 Wiseco,Web .348 Cams,Falicon Sprockets,Star Racing Ported Head,1mm o/s Stainless Valves,APE Springs,Bronze Guides,etc.APE Billet Tensioner,36CV Carbs,Stage 3 Dynojet,Plenum w/K&N filter,Trued,Welded,Balanced,Crank w/Katana rods & Billet left end, FBG backcut trans, VHR HD Clutch basket,APE nut,VHR High volume oil pump gears,1150 Oil cooler,V&H Megaphone header w/Competition baffle,Dyna S,Coils,Wires,etc.Other misc.mods.

Comment

Originally posted by gs11ezrydr View Post
                      Would it be possible to coat the whole board in a type of epoxy like they used in Satellite boards or something like they seal C.D.I. boxes and regulator/rectifiers? To protect them from vibration, moisture, and heat. I had a friend that used to modify Satellite boards to get all the channels and PPV's and he would heat it and then slowly shave the epoxy down to the components then modify them. He said it was a very tough and very durable compound they used. Just an idea.
                      If you cover all the connector contacts you generally use this to seal out moisture. Doesn't do much for vibration. usually shock/vibration isolators like rubber.

Comment

Got you man. Thanks for correcting me on the vibration idea.
                        sigpic 82 gs1100ez 1168 Wiseco,Web .348 Cams,Falicon Sprockets,Star Racing Ported Head,1mm o/s Stainless Valves,APE Springs,Bronze Guides,etc.APE Billet Tensioner,36CV Carbs,Stage 3 Dynojet,Plenum w/K&N filter,Trued,Welded,Balanced,Crank w/Katana rods & Billet left end, FBG backcut trans, VHR HD Clutch basket,APE nut,VHR High volume oil pump gears,1150 Oil cooler,V&H Megaphone header w/Competition baffle,Dyna S,Coils,Wires,etc.Other misc.mods.

Comment

Working...
                        X