No announcement yet.

Is this the real thing (SH775)?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Solder also wicks up the strands and makes the wire inflexible and can cause it to break under the insulation, the hotter the joint the further it will flow.
    sigpic

Don't say can't, as anything is possible with time and effort, but, if you don't have time things get tougher and require more effort.

Comment

Originally posted by tatu View Post
      Solder also wicks up the strands and makes the wire inflexible and can cause it to break under the insulation, the hotter the joint the further it will flow.
      That is the primary reason for NOT suggesting soldering.

Comment

Originally posted by Nessism View Post
        Triumph PN T2500676
        Thanks......

Comment

Another tidbit that might help with a good, properly-crimped connection is a bit counter-intuitive.

Do NOT twist the bare wire ends before inserting into the connector.

That article talked about a "gas tight crimp", which would require that all the strands are straight and paralell. If you twist them, there WILL be spaces around the strands when they are gripped by the straight sides of the connectors.

sigpic
          mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
          hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
          #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
          #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
          Family Portrait
          Siblings and Spouses
          Mom's first ride
          Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
          (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
            Another tidbit that might help with a good, properly-crimped connection is a bit counter-intuitive.

Do NOT twist the bare wire ends before inserting into the connector.

That article talked about a "gas tight crimp", which would require that all the strands are straight and paralell. If you twist them, there WILL be spaces around the strands when they are gripped by the straight sides of the connectors.

If you consider out how many people here can do a gas tight crimp that will last more than 5 years in a moderately humid environment, you know why I suggest soldering.

Comment

But you also have to consider that many of those who are new to soldering usually subscribe to the drag racer's philosophy:

"If some is good, more is better, too much is enough."

As previously mentioned, solder tends to wick up the wire, past the strain relief, which causes other problems. I tend to agree with a bit of solder, but I try to keep it minimal and as close as possible to the tip of the wire. Solder is not intended as the mechanical bonding agent in a connection. The crimp should be the mechanical connection, solder is basically just a sealant that keeps out corrosion.

sigpic
              mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
              hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
              #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
              #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
              Family Portrait
              Siblings and Spouses
              Mom's first ride
              Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
              (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Crimped terminals are the way to go assuming you have the proper crimping pliers that roll over the crimp ears. If not, solder away. It might be best to pre-tin the wires to keep the heat low and assure the solder doesn't wick up the strands too far. If you do solder cleaning off the old flux is advised since it can mess up the electrical properties of the joint if left uncleaned.
                Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
                  But you also have to consider that many of those who are new to soldering usually subscribe to the drag racer's philosophy:

"If some is good, more is better, too much is enough."

As previously mentioned, solder tends to wick up the wire, past the strain relief, which causes other problems. I tend to agree with a bit of solder, but I try to keep it minimal and as close as possible to the tip of the wire. Solder is not intended as the mechanical bonding agent in a connection. The crimp should be the mechanical connection, solder is basically just a sealant that keeps out corrosion.

Yes you are correct, and I am going to leave writing the"Idiot's Guide to the Guides" for Soldering up to someone else(you perhaps?).

Comment

Working...
                  X