Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Battery Upgrade: GS1000

Hello,

I am thinking about getting a different battery for my 1979 GS 1000, something smaller and sealed so I can mount it out of sight. I've recently installed a SH775 r/r and a new stator as well. What are the specifications I should look for as far as amperage and the like?

Thanks
    Last edited by Guest; 12-29-2016, 01:31 PM.

Per the parts fishe, the stock battery is PN YB14L-A2

I believe this references a Yuasa 14Ah battery.
    Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

These are what I use. They produce tons of consistent power, are super light, and can be mounted in any way

Unlock the future of power storage with Shorai Power's lightweight lithium batteries. Experience enhanced efficiency and extended lifespan today.
      Last edited by Guest; 01-09-2017, 11:14 AM.

Comment

For ease of maintenace, I'd recommend a sealed/Gel variant of the battery. According to my experience, you get a selecion of those to most common stock variants.
        #1: 1979 GS 550 EC "Red" – Very first Bike / Overhaul thread        New here? ☛ Read the Top 10 Newbie mistakes thread
        #2: 1978 GS 550 EC "Blue" – Can't make it a donor / "Rebuild" thread     Manuals (and much more): See Cliff's homepage here
        #3: 2014 Moto Guzzi V7 II Racer – One needs a runner while wrenching
        #4: 1980 Moto Guzzi V65C – Something to chill

Comment

"Sealed" is no problem at all. AGM (that is a construction type, not a brand name) batteries are available everywhere and are highly recommended.

"Lighter" means smaller, and less capacity, unless you go with a Lithium-type construction.
          There are at least four things to consider there:
          1. Do you think that removing about 6 or 7 pounds of battery will change the feel of a 500-pound bike very much?
          2. Look at all the news reports of Hoverboards and "smart"phones and their Lithium batteries bursting into flame. You want that happening under your butt while cranked over in a corner?
          3. Lithium batteries are a LOT more expensive.
          4. Lithium batteries require different a charging protocol, usually microprocessor-controlled. Your bike doesn't have one. Because of that, your battery will likely never charge properly, which may leave you stranded somewhere on the road. At least the bike will be lighter while you push it home.

sigpic
          mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
          hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
          #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
          #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
          Family Portrait
          Siblings and Spouses
          Mom's first ride
          Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
          (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

I ran a Lithium Ion in my ATV for awhile and they are sensitive to be charged correctly. If they drop below a certain voltage, they can't be recharged... and if you try to recharge them after that, well they get real hot, melt the side off the battery, and smoke (at least that's what happened to me).

My biggest fear on our older bikes with the known charging system issues, is that they just may not work reliably...or worse.

Just my .02
            1982 GS1100E "Jolene"

Comment

Working...
            X