resistor caps or omit

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

resistor caps or omit

Hi Guys...i would like to know your thoughts about the resistor caps for the plugs and whether or not to stay with them or just omit them. Right now my '81 GS750E has what appears to be two (probably original--although they say NGK on them?) caps which i have verified that they have the resistor in them and two caps that look newer (also NGK) which don't appear to have resistors. I'm thinking replacing them all with non resistor type and going to the DR8EA (resistor type--5K) plugs. In this case i don't worry about the resistor caps and whether there is corrosion or whether the resistors are failing etc. etc.
    So my question is...is there a compelling reason i am unaware of to use resistor caps? if not, i will just buy all new caps without resistors and move forward with the resistor plugs.
    Thanks...

Resistor either in the caps, or plugs, but not both. Where; up to your preference.
    #1: 1979 GS 550 EC "Red" – Very first Bike / Overhaul thread        New here? ☛ Read the Top 10 Newbie mistakes thread
    #2: 1978 GS 550 EC "Blue" – Can't make it a donor / "Rebuild" thread     Manuals (and much more): See Cliff's homepage here
    #3: 2014 Moto Guzzi V7 II Racer – One needs a runner while wrenching
    #4: 1980 Moto Guzzi V65C – Something to chill

Comment

If they are OEM stock caps there "should" be a brass fitting inside the cap that grips the plug. this is slotted and unscrews. Under that plug is a ceramic resistor. Take the resistor out and replace it with some thick copper wire thats close to the same diameter of the resistor, brass rod, or even steel rod. this eliminates resistors which can and do fail..which in turn cause no spark. Which in turn send you on all sorts of useless electrical gremlin witch hunts.

NOTE..1 and 4 do not have a spring in the caps. 2 and 3 do and when reassembling the spring goes in first, then the metal replacement, and then the slotted thing.
      Last edited by chuck hahn; 01-04-2017, 06:44 PM.
      MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
      1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

Originally posted by chuck hahn View Post
        If they are OEM stock caps there "should" be a brass fitting inside the cap that grips the plug. this is slotted and unscrews. Under that plug is a ceramic resistor. Take the resistor out and replace it with some thick copper wire thats close to the same diameter of the resistor, brass rod, or even steel rod. this eliminates resistors which can and do fail..which in turn cause no spark. Which in turn send you on all sorts of useless electrical gremlin witch hunts.

NOTE..1 and 4 do not have a spring in the caps. 2 and 3 do and when reassembling the spring goes in first, then the metal replacement, and then the slotted thing.
        upon further inspection the caps i thought didn't have a resistor (newer looking ones) actually have a resistor (says 5K Ohm on the cap). i was confused because there was no screwdriver slot in the brass cap like the original looking ones. And...they were 90 degree caps as opposed to the more obtuse angled ones so i didn't think a resistor would fit in there. anyway, i will leave them as is for now. I had the wires crossed on 3 and 4 and that's why i was looking there in the first place. With a little research on this wonderful forum i found my bonehead mistake.

Comment

They have built in resistors and arent meant to be disassembled like the originals were. Only way to eliminate resistors with those is to replace the caps with non resistor ones.
          MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
          1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

Originally posted by chuck hahn View Post
            They have built in resistors and arent meant to be disassembled like the originals were. Only way to eliminate resistors with those is to replace the caps with non resistor ones.
            thanks Chuck...that's what I assumed....when it's all said and done i'll probably replace them all with new and at that time I will decide which way to go.

Comment

Working...
            X