Electrical problems on 82 gs1100gl

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Electrical problems on 82 gs1100gl

Hey, I've recently purchased a 1982 Suzuki gs1100gl, since it was only $200 and needed a clutch basket (still does) anyway, I turned the key, and the headlight, along with the blinkers. The rears are led, since it was dropped at a decent speed. The front are still stock halogen. I checked the relay, and it looks in bad shape, as in water stuck in the housing. Checked wiring, and it seems to be square, but I want to make sure.before I buy a relay, and I don't know what relay to buy, since I'm sure led's are a different voltage. I'll post pictures when I go home this weekend, so you have a general idea of what I'm looking at. Thanks!!

Forgot to mention, the rears get brighter when I flick the switch to left or right. The front blinkers don't change at all. No flash, though. Just constant.

Comment

Brace yourself for sticker shock or get ready to give up some features on your "new" bike.

The flasher (relay) on your bike only applies to Suzuki GSes newer than 1980. You are not going to go to Auto Zone, O'Reilly's or any other store and find a flasher for your bike. You will have to find one on eBay or find someone here that might have an extra that is willing to part with it.

You are correct that the LEDs are different, but they have been designed to run off the same 12 volts as the rest of the bike. The front turn signals are not halogen, they are simply 'incandescent' bulbs. The only halogen light on the bike would be the headlight bulb. Your front signals are likely dual-filament bulbs that have a running light feature. They will come on at a lower intensity with the key, then flash brighter when you turn on the turn signals.

Your bike has self-cancelling turn signals. Assuming that the parts still work, you will need a stock flasher unit and incandescent bulbs front and rear. If you want your LED signals on the rear and don't mind giving up the self-cancelling signals, you can get an electronic flasher for your bike, but you will have to do some minor re-wiring of the flasher socket. One of the wires (I think it's the center one) goes from the flasher to the turn signal control unit. That wire needs to be cut and re-routed to a chassis ground so your electronic flasher can work. I think the model for the flasher is EP-34.

sigpic
      mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
      hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
      #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
      #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
      Family Portrait
      Siblings and Spouses
      Mom's first ride
      Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
      (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Makes sense. I forgot LEDs required an electronic flasher. Might just switch the rears back to incandescent bulbs. Thank you

Comment

How to fix it all, LEDS, Flasher,TSCU

Comment

Working...
          X