Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Reverse Charge - Wont Take Charge

Whelp,

Ive been working on the carbs and charged the battery. Worked good then dies. Charged it again and now wont show charge on my reader. Tender shows battery is fully charged but bike wont turn for ****.

Any ideas? Groujd issure im thinking but is there a ground fix for the 1978 gs1000?

Thanks!
    Caferob81

The meter shows no voltage at the battery even though the tender says its fully charged??? Is your meters battery good???
    MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
    1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

If you have a charger on it, and it's bad, then it's bad

The GS 1000, like every other 39 year old bike, needs its connections cleaned every decade or so

Go to the Quick Test, and measure your voltages

What's this reverse charge? Did you hook it up backwards?
      1978 GS 1000 (since new)
      1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
      1978 GS 1000 (parts)
      1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
      1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
      1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
      2007 DRz 400S
      1999 ATK 490ES
      1994 DR 350SES

Comment

Originally posted by chuck hahn View Post
        Is your meters battery good???
        or is your charger junk? Those little inexpensive (cheap) tenders can go bad.
        82 1100 EZ (red)

"You co-opting words of KV only thickens the scent of your BS. A thief and a putter-on of airs most foul. " JEEPRUSTY

Comment

One of the symptoms of a bad battery is that with no load, ignition off, it may read as high as 12.6 or more volts. As soon as you turn the ignition on that voltage will drop to almost zero. Hook up a battery charger and it will say fully charged and the voltage may actually read 12.6 to 13 volts. We call that "the battery has gone high resistance". I has no capacity and has to be replaced. If in doubt take the battery out, charge it until the charger says fully charged and run it down to auto parts store that checks batteries. O'Reilly, Autozone, Advance Auto for example. They will load test it for you for free. Even a battery with one or two shorted cells will still turn on the lights. But when they go high resistance they won't light the neutral light.

Comment

Poor mans load test. Hold the probes to the battery and turn on the key and watch the voltage drop as you hit the starter button. They usually drop to 6 or 8 volts almost instantly because they cant produce any cranking amperage. Time to replace battery.
            MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
            1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

Originally posted by chuck hahn View Post
              Poor mans load test. Hold the probes to the battery and turn on the key and watch the voltage drop as you hit the starter button. They usually drop to 6 or 8 volts almost instantly because they cant produce any cranking amperage. Time to replace battery.
              Thanks for the replies! Its the battery. Battery shows 10v after tender says fully charged. I think I overcharged the battery the last two years.
              I cleaned up all the connectors under the seat. The bike has a Honda Regulator on it. Three yellow wires coming from engine connect directly to three yellow wires on regulator. Except for one, it runs up to the handle bars for the headlight shut off.

The red and black wires coming fromt he honda regulator is power and the black one is a meter wire. I was told to disconnect that from my rear brake switch and connect it to the battery so that the regulator reads from the battery and not the brake switch which can cause over charging.

After two years with this battery, I noticed a few cells needed to be topped off. My uncle and I thought this was due to overflow, over charging of that meter wire reading the brake switch instead of the battery.

Comment

That black wire is a sense wire and should not be connected directly to the battery. It should be a switched 12v with when the ignition is on. Hooking it directly to the battery, which seems like a good idea, can cause a draw on the battery when the ignition is off. Some folks put a relay in line with that black wire and connect it to the battery that way. Since you said a couple of cells were low on water, I assume you have a lead acid conventional (not AGM) battery. They require periodic service simply because they tend to evaporate water when being charged. At least twice a year check the water level or replace the battery with a maintenance free AGM battery.

Comment

Originally posted by jdvorchak View Post
                  That black wire is a sense wire and should not be connected directly to the battery. It should be a switched 12v with when the ignition is on. Hooking it directly to the battery, which seems like a good idea, can cause a draw on the battery when the ignition is off. Some folks put a relay in line with that black wire and connect it to the battery that way. Since you said a couple of cells were low on water, I assume you have a lead acid conventional (not AGM) battery. They require periodic service simply because they tend to evaporate water when being charged. At least twice a year check the water level or replace the battery with a maintenance free AGM battery.
                  Replaced the acid battery with AGM. I wired the black battery to the positive lead and it was overcharging so you guys were right. I am going to hook the black witre back up to the brake light sensor switch.
                  In my video I tested the volts at different readings and I dont really know what im talking about so go easy on me lol.
                  Heres the video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Znodw-vRchA

Comment

nice video
                    Old timers tip - always connect the positive terminal 1st, then the ground

Most likely that Honda RR is bad

After you adjust the valves and sync your carbs, post up whatever carb issues you have in the Carbs forum
                    1978 GS 1000 (since new)
                    1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
                    1978 GS 1000 (parts)
                    1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
                    1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
                    1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
                    2007 DRz 400S
                    1999 ATK 490ES
                    1994 DR 350SES

Comment

It's not unusual for an AGM battery to show a little higher charging voltage, for instance 14.8 volts at 2500 rpm with all lights on. But 16.7? That tells me your RR is probably defective especially since you had the black sense wire connected directly to the battery and you're sure the Green ground wire has a good ground connection.

Oh Yeah. What Big T says and this holds true anytime you do anything with a battery. Positive goes on first and comes off last. Lots less sparking that way.

Comment

That tells me your RR is probably defective.
                        do you guys know which model honda regulator to get?

Comment

As I understand it, any for the cb600 with 5 wires will work. The 4 or 5 wire regulators don't require a sense wire. 3 for AC Input, 1 ground and 1 hot to the battery. Mid 90's to early 2000's models? Just a guess.
                          I just bought a Ricks for an 80 GS1000 I'm working on and it has 5 wires. Wondering why you want to go to a Honda regulator when Suzuki has Ricks and Electrosports models to fit your bike?

Comment

Wondering why you want to go to a Honda regulator when Suzuki has Ricks and Electrosports models to fit your bike?
                            Ifiguredallthesuzukioneswerenotstrongenoughsinceth iswasafailingpointoftheGS.
                            Are the rick ones updated or upgraded to handle the power? Ebay has some Honda ones for decent price.

***What about the 6th wire (black meter wire)? Will the charging system be fine on a 5 wire regulator?

Comment

Contact Duane

82 1100 EZ (red)

"You co-opting words of KV only thickens the scent of your BS. A thief and a putter-on of airs most foul. " JEEPRUSTY

Comment

Working...
                              X