Spark Plug

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Spark Plug

Hi all, getting to work on the bike after holidays and work, overworking me. Got new spark plugs and had to take the caps off the tips to show the threads. On one the cap came off no issue like plug on the left. ON the other the whole tip came out of the white part of the spark plug. I got the tip off and could get it back in but i was wondering if i messed up the plug having the whole tip come out? Or can i just screw it back on? Plugs are the NGK B8ES and i can grab a new if this one is not good now. Image is for reference on where i pulled the whole tip out in case i don't explain what happened that great. The one on the right is just before i pulled the whole tip out.

IMG_20170116_165710853.jpg

Thanks

I had no idea One could do this. Is the part that came out of the white part threaded or is it a broken piece of metal?
    1983 GS 550 LD
    2009 BMW K1300s

Comment

The cheapest insurance you can buy for your bike is new plugs and new plug caps. They are easy to change and will eliminate a lot of uncertainties if you encounter a bad running engine.
      82 1100 EZ (red)

"You co-opting words of KV only thickens the scent of your BS. A thief and a putter-on of airs most foul. " JEEPRUSTY

Comment

It's threaded, twisted back in fine but i'm wondering if i broke a seal of some kind since the first came off really easy. It's the whole threaded tip at the top that came out.

Comment

show us a pic.
          If its metal threading into metal your fine.
          1983 GS 550 LD
          2009 BMW K1300s

Comment

Just replace it. There too cheap to gamble with

Comment

It looks like it threads to the white plastic part. There is a metal wire in the center in the pic. I can put the part back in tight but will that mess with anything or best to go get another plug for $3.00.

IMG_20170116_212924094.jpg

Comment

They look more like grooves for pressure fitting the terminal in place
                turf the plug and get a new one with bare terminal
                1983 GS 550 LD
                2009 BMW K1300s

Comment

Thanks, that's the plan. Should they sell without the cap or am i looking at having to remove every time i Buy. Just don't want to keep them in business ruining plugs if i can get without the cap. I just wondered if i completely ruined it, better safe than sorry and just replace.

Comment

Yeah ask for a bare terminal. Most NGK i see around are in plasti packs so you see what you buy. Refer to NGK website to see if their is a specific number for barre terminal vs with teminal nut.
                    1983 GS 550 LD
                    2009 BMW K1300s

Comment

Originally posted by dem3500 View Post
                      Just replace it. There too cheap to gamble with

+1 on this.
                      1980/1981 GS450 - GS500 Cylinder + Piston Swap - "De-L'ed", custom seat, CB350 bits, 18" rear, etc.
                      1977 GS550
                      1977 GS750 - Cross country trip thread

Comment

Yep; last few NGKs I've bought have been fearsomely tight from the factory. Somebody's been calibrating the plug-top-putter-onner wrongly.
                        ---- Dave
                        79 GS850N - Might be a trike soon.
                        80 GS850T Single HIF38 S.U. SH775, Tow bar, Pantera II. Gnarly workhorse & daily driver.
                        79 XS650SE - Pragmatic Ratter - goes better than a manky old twin should.
                        92 XJ900F - Fairly Stock, for now.

Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist sticks his head out of a car window

Comment

Working...
                        X