LED brake lights?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

LED brake lights?

I have an 81 gs850gl. I want to replace the stock brake light with something a little more streamline. Looking on the internet I found a lot of lights that I like but most of them are LED brake lights. The stock light has three wires, the LED light also has three wires. Will I'll be able to just wire the new LED brake light up to the existing wires, or is there more to it? Just don't know because I tried plugging in LED blinkers but ended up having to rewire to make it work. Is this the same case for the brake light?

I'm wondering how the light has three wires unless you are planning on replacing the entire device? A much cheaper and easier alternative is to purchase a bulb from someone like SuperBrightLeds. Here's one I bought a few years ago:

LED replacement bulbs can fit motorcycle tail lights and brake lights while doubling as a license plate light. This 1157 dual-contact, dual-function bulb has 25 LEDs (3-mm and 5-mm). 19 Red LEDs aim forward from tail lights and brighten when brakes are engaged, and 6 radially mounted cool white LEDs illuminate your license plate. BAY15D 15-mm bayonet base for easy plug-and-play installation—just twist to lock in place. The energy-efficient bulb operates with in a wide 9-14.8V DC range and is designed to last 50,000 hours on your motorcycle—42 times longer than incandescent bulbs. Not sold in pairs. Price per bulb.
    Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
    1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
    2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
    Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
    and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

Yes i am wanting to install an aftermarket brake light. Not just the bulb. Going for a custom look. Im just not sure if a LED brake light is going to be compatible or not.

Comment

Im looking at installing something like this.

Comment

How would you install it? From what I can tell, the light is pointing downward so people really won't see it as they come up from behind you.

The brake light fixture itself shouldn't matter in my opinion. It is not like the turn signals which required the installation of a resistor if you have a single light in the dash. However, you should consider it a major component of your safety since it can be one of the only indicators that you are stopping/slowing
          Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
          1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
          2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
          Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
          and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

12V led light should work no problem...only with led turn signals do you have to either add a resistor or get a different relay.

Comment

" . However, you should consider it a major component of your safety since it can be one of the only indicators that you are stopping/slowing"

I agree- you can't have enough to warn potentially distracted drivers of your plans. I have the stock brake light, a flashing led strip below my license plate ,and another led strip across the rear of my rack.
              1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

I had considered using some of the 6" red led strips and sticking them to my license plate cover and wiring them to come on along with my regular brake light. It seems that my stock brake light must be invisible to 1 out of every 3 car drivers on the road...
                1982 GS1100E "Jolene"

Comment

Originally posted by buckshot1718 View Post
                  Im looking at installing something like this.
                  http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/2522613...&ul_noapp=true
                  From an electrics point of view that looks like plug and play.
                  79 GS1000S
                  79 GS1000S (another one)
                  80 GSX750
                  80 GS550
                  80 CB650 cafe racer
                  75 PC50 - the one with OHV and pedals...
                  75 TS100 - being ridden (suicidally) by my father

Comment

Should be a simple job. 3 wires: probably ground, switched 12V, and brake signal. Find a wiring diagram for your bike, and match the colors to what the new light says.

Comment

Seems like a lot of bikers eliminate the reflectors when they do the LED upgrade.
                      That’s something to think about.

Last fall I was following some bike that had no rear reflector & a nonfunctioning taillight.
                      He was at a distance so that all I saw was the occasional brake light + the ground lit up by the headlight.
                      I knew what was going on but some speeding cager might not get enough reaction time.

Comment

Working...
                      X