1st Gen TSCU LED Relay Mod

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1st Gen TSCU LED Relay Mod

So, you have a functioning 1st generation TSCU unit, and you want to wire up some LED blinkers? So do I! So, I did it, and here's how:

1st, you need an electronic flasher. I bought this one from my local auto parts store (Advance Auto). It is a EP34 model. If you get a different one, the wiring will be different: Left should be earth/ground, middle the load, and right the 12V.

2nd, you're going to need a ground wire. I just used some spare I had, probably somewhere around 14AWG. It doesn't need to be very long, just to go from the flasher to a ground or the battery terminal.

Let's get started!

Find your old flasher relay. It's on the left side of the bike, under the cover.

Wiggle it on out, and unplug it. Be careful, the plug may be brittle. Mine cracked on one side when I removed it.

Here's the old flasher (top) compared to the new one (bottom):

But wait! The old one has 2 connections and the new one has 3! The 3rd connection on the new flasher is the ground.

Let's run that ground. I went straight to the negative battery terminal with it. Run it down and over where the flasher harness it, and crimp/solder a female spade plug to the end.

Let's hook it up! Plug the ground you just ran into the ground on the flasher. Plug the factory harness into the remaining pins. Mount how you choose; I just stuck a ziptie around it

And that's it. You now have an electronic flasher running with your 1st gen auto-cancelling TSCU. And yes, it does still auto cancel :P

Here's a wiring and pin-out diagram of the 2 flashers:

Here's mine in action; I have no front signals yet, so the factory flasher didn't work because of the reduced load.
    Last edited by Guest; 01-25-2017, 07:33 PM.

Nice mod; a before/after drawing with wire color, relay nomenclature would be nice for anyone trying to follow. Pictures help but still leave much to the imagination.

Comment

Originally posted by posplayr View Post
      Nice mod; a before/after drawing with wire color, relay nomenclature would be nice for anyone trying to follow. Pictures help but still leave much to the imagination.
      That is part of the beauty of this. You don't have to mod or rewire any of the factory harnesses. You run 1 additional ground wire, which can be any color of your choosing. Once that's hooked to the relay, the factory harness will only plug in one way.

Comment

Originally posted by RadRacer View Post
        That is part of the beauty of this. You don't have to mod or rewire any of the factory harnesses. You run 1 additional ground wire, which can be any color of your choosing. Once that's hooked to the relay, the factory harness will only plug in one way.
        Doesn't look like you used the factory plug to attach to the flasher.

Comment

Doesn't look like you used the factory plug to attach to the flasher.
          With the exception of the extra ground, the factory plug fits perfectly on the new flasher. Once you wire up the extra ground, the factory plug will plug directly into the remaining 2 terminals with no modification; and there's only 1 way you can install it.
          Last edited by Guest; 01-25-2017, 01:32 PM.

Comment

With the exception of the extra ground, the factory plug fits perfectly on the new flasher. Once you wire up the extra ground, the factory plug will plug directly into the remaining 2 terminals with no modification; and there's only 1 way you can install it.
            Well I'm sure anybody can figure it from your explaination.

Comment

Well I'm sure anybody can figure it from your explaination.
              I'm assuming you forgot a "not" in your post? If so, how would you like me to further explain it? The point of the how-to is to simplify it, and I think going into detail on what each wire does when they don't have to mess with them any will just be more confusing.

Comment

I'm assuming you forgot a "not" in your post? If so, how would you like me to further explain it? The point of the how-to is to simplify it, and I think going into detail on what each wire does when they don't have to mess with them any will just be more confusing.
                Actually I left out an "eventually".

There are many ways to simplify an explanation but the best way is to be concise. Here is a graphical example, but it could be done in tabular form as well(shown below the schematic).

One is what is called a "daisy chain" list of "point to point" connections(each row). The other a schematic showing unambiguously colors, pins and mating connector nomenclature (a picture).

Comment

Actually I left out an "eventually".

There are many ways to simplify an explanation but the best way is to be concise. Here is a graphical example, but it could be done in tabular form as well(shown below the schematic).

One is what is called a "daisy chain" list of "point to point" connections(each row). The other a schematic showing unambiguously colors, pins and mating connector nomenclature (a picture).

Again, I believe you're trying to over-complicate this. This is a very simple mod. Unplug the factory flasher unit, run a ground wire, and then plug in the new electronic flasher. This works only for the 1st generation TSCU that uses a 2 wire flasher. Maybe that's why the you don't recognize the plug I used?

Comment

Again, I believe you're trying to over-complicate this. This is a very simple mod. Unplug the factory flasher unit, run a ground wire, and then plug in the new electronic flasher. This works only for the 1st generation TSCU that uses a 2 wire flasher. Maybe that's why the you don't recognize the plug I used?

This is now post 10 to this thread, so it is not simple. But then what do I know about simple? Perhaps 90 more posts will make it even simpler?

What I do know is it is NOT concise(other than your last post as highlighted and excluding the adornments).
                    Last edited by posplayr; 01-25-2017, 03:38 PM.

Comment

This is now post 10 to this thread, so it is not simple. But then what do I know about simple? What I do know is it is NOT concise.
                      Yes, post #10. Have you noticed the only posts are from you saying this is needed, and me saying it isn't? Not 1 single post from someone saying they don't understand or need clarification. Just you saying how I should post a wiring chart when it's unnecessary. I believe there is plenty of information here. Especially considering I couldn't find any before I began this mod. I know you've made a mod for the other TSCU to use electronic flashers. This is a different setup for a different TSCU.

Comment

(other than your last post as highlighted and excluding the adornments).
                        Did you even read the first post? Everything I said in the post you quoted is said in the original post, in more detail.

Comment

Did you even read the first post? Everything I said in the post you quoted is said in the original post, in more detail.
                          Listen, I'm not dumb and I could figure this out on my own faster than reading this thread. But after going over the description about 4 times over and still couldn't figure out what your were trying to say.

What is not clear is the order of the three wires. If you had shown the NEW relay installed with the OLD OEM connector as in the first picture with the OLD relay, it would have been VERY clear even without you saying it. But since you seem to have cut off that OEM connector that you showed in the first picture one is left to wonder what the order is.

I truly have better things to do that argue with you; but you asked

Comment

Listen, I'm not dumb and I could figure this out on my own faster than reading this thread. But after going over the description about 4 times over and still couldn't figure out what your were trying to say.

What is not clear is the order of the three wires. If you had shown the NEW relay installed with the OLD OEM connector as in the first picture with the OLD relay, it would have been VERY clear even without you saying it. But since you seem to have cut off that OEM connector that you showed in the first picture one is left to wonder what the order is.

I truly have better things to do that argue with you; but you asked
                            Never did I call you dumb. I've said it 3x now, and I'll say it again. THE FACTORY PLUG PLUGS DIRECTLY INTO THE NEW FLASHER. I added a diagram to the original post, tell me if it's up to your standards.

Comment

Never did I call you dumb. I've said it 3x now, and I'll say it again. THE FACTORY PLUG PLUGS DIRECTLY INTO THE NEW FLASHER. I added a diagram to the original post, tell me if it's up to your standards.
                              I don't know whether it meets my standards but I'm sure others would appreciate it.

Comment

Working...
                              X