Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Caltric Stator-no coating on stator windings?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A caltric stator failed in my 650 because the lacquer came off the windings. The oil shorted it. I measured the resistance with it dry on the bench and when I poured oil on it a short developed.
    1981 GS650G , all the bike you need
    1980 GS1000G Power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely

Comment

Hmmm, so some fretting then?
      GS\'s since 1982: 55OMZ, 550ES, 750ET, (2) 1100ET\'s, 1100S, 1150ES. Current ride is an 83 Katana. Wifes bike is an 84 GS 1150ES

Comment

Originally posted by duaneage View Post
        A caltric stator failed in my 650 because the lacquer came off the windings. The oil shorted it. I measured the resistance with it dry on the bench and when I poured oil on it a short developed.
        Vibration chafed through the lacquer perhaps???
        '84 GS750EF (Oct 2015 BOM) '79 GS1000N (June 2007 BOM) My Flickr site http://www.flickr.com/photos/soates50/
        https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4306/35860327946_08fdd555ac_z.jpg

Comment

Nope the coating came off easily. Looked like either the oil attacked it or the wire wasn't prepped before coating. I put an electrosport in because it had superior coating on the wire. The caltric wires were not extra dipped. It's in 220 degree oil so it needs protection.
          All the other stuff about magnetic and vibrations didn't apply.

Comment

The funny thing about the failure was when the bike sat for 4 days it would charge normally upon starting. As soon as enough oil worked it's way around it the charge went down. I knew it was a problem with insulation somewhere. I got 6 years out of my 80.00 so I was ok with it. Things happen.

Comment

So the stator does need a coating of this substance on it?

If so awesome! I think this may have just solved my charging issues. I didn't even think about it when I put my new stator in. I also bought the lower cost stator. It had good ratings and was comparable to the other stators I could find if not the exact same. It didn't have the coating so it is shorting and is not charging my bike. You guys are great! I have been stumped on this for a while...

Comment

If you r3move and decrease with alcohol you might be able to revarnish it. You need to make it dry and clean. I opted for another with epoxy coating, electrosport.

Comment

Originally posted by duaneage View Post
                  Just to be clear, you measured resistance with a VOM? What was the resistance range if you recall?

Comment

Huh? Motor oil is a good insulator.
                    The oil shorted it. I measured the resistance with it dry on the bench and when I poured oil on it a short developed.
                    This bench test is really odd but I'd expect it to be the weight of the oil making the short connect...the worn unvarnished crossed wires would be very nearly touching or touching in any case. Maybe the heat of the short might burn the oil leaving carbon and more as a buildup to conduct...?

Comment

Originally posted by Gorminrider View Post
                      Huh? Motor oil is a good insulator. This bench test is really odd but I'd expect it to be the weight of the oil making the short connect...the worn unvarnished crossed wires would be very nearly touching or touching in any case. Maybe the heat of the short might burn the oil leaving carbon and more as a buildup to conduct...?
                      Perhaps another example of CCC; Confusing Correlation and Causation.

Comment

Well that's how it behaved. The insulation was not sticking to the windings, probably due to poor prep on the wire or the lacquer was thin.

Comment

Oh! for sure ! It seems an oddity is all so it invites speculation. I've tried to cut up old ones to find shorts as a curiousity but It's too crude to really see much beyond guessing.

Comment

Originally posted by Gorminrider View Post
                            Oh! for sure ! It seems an oddity is all so it invites speculation. I've tried to cut up old ones to find shorts as a curiousity but It's too crude to really see much beyond guessing.
                            I would speculate that principles of physics is still involved

Comment

Working...
                            X