Question About Tail Light Bulbs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Question About Tail Light Bulbs

I have a question about tail light bulb on my completely stock 1982 GS850L. I want to replace it with a LED bulb so it will be more noticable at night. I pulled out the original bulb, and was stamped 1034, but it looks like a 1157 light bulb would replace it. Will the 1157 work and will installing a LED bulb cause any wierd problems with the electrical system?

You can install a LED bulb with no issues for your tail/brake. Here's the one I have in my bike and what I'll put in my daughter's this year.

LED replacement bulbs can fit motorcycle tail lights and brake lights while doubling as a license plate light. This 1157 dual-contact, dual-function bulb has 25 LEDs (3-mm and 5-mm). 19 Red LEDs aim forward from tail lights and brighten when brakes are engaged, and 6 radially mounted cool white LEDs illuminate your license plate. BAY15D 15-mm bayonet base for easy plug-and-play installation—just twist to lock in place. The energy-efficient bulb operates with in a wide 9-14.8V DC range and is designed to last 50,000 hours on your motorcycle—42 times longer than incandescent bulbs. Not sold in pairs. Price per bulb.
    Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
    1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
    2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
    Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
    and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

I don't remember if I have followed Cowboyup to see how his tail light looks, but be aware that some LED replacement bulbs might appear bright in the store, but do nothing to fill out the reflector behind the lens. That will give you just a bright spot in the middle, which really is not that great if you want to be seen.

The better lights for this task will have supplemental LEDs around the edge that shine into the reflector. The individual LEDs that make up the light should also have a raher wide projected beam, otherwise they will only be noticed in a rather narrow angle directly behind the bike.

Also be VERY leery about any bulbs that have circuit boards formed into "towers" like this:

I had some as running lights and turn signals in my fairing. One ride that was about 150 miles with my Wing group had one fail completely, the other one had two of the six boards come loose. Got replacements under warranty. Rode them to the Brown County rally, one of them partially failed on the way, both of them pretty much failed completely while there. The company was hesitant to relace this pair under warranty, so I basically told them "screw you, not only will I never buy from you again, I will heartily recommend that others don't, either". My latest replacements have been in for over a year and are doing quite well. ALL the LEDs are mounted solidly on a board that is backed up with an aluminum disk, so NOTHING is going to vibrate loose.

sigpic
      mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
      hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
      #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
      #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
      Family Portrait
      Siblings and Spouses
      Mom's first ride
      Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
      (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

webBikeWorld has done some interesting reviews. They’ve had mixed results. How well it works for you depends on the specific LED bulb, and the reflector + lens. Seems to work out well on some bikes & no so on others.

Comment

I have the towers that Steve posted as my tail light and turn signals for a year. So far 4 of the 5 have failed (cutting off and on intermittently). I've had no problem getting them replaced under warranty though. I'm hoping the manufacturing process is getting better.

Comment

I have tried one of the spider LED lights for my rear light (brake light) and it has stood up well. 3 years plus and still going strong.
            1981 GS 1000GLX.
            1981 GS 1000G.
            1981 GS 650GLX.
            1975 TS 185.
            1972 100. Kawasaki.
            1968 100. Suzuki.
            1970 Z 50. Honda.
            1984 CT 70. Honda. (Kids)
            1982 DS 50. Suzuki. (Kids)

Comment

Working...
            X