Turn signals

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Turn signals

My turn signals work sometimes then will not.If I turn on at switch sometimes they work and in middle of turning a corner they stop.Also if I'm turning say right and it doesn't come on I fickt to left then back to right and it comes on.Could it be turn signal control box at fault I've replaced and soldered in new switch gear looks all OK.Conan
    1983 GS 650 gl

1982 GS 850 gl

1980 GS 550L

1982 GS 650 G(KATANA)

Gsx 1400 daily ride

It might help a bit to understand how the auto-cancel system works, then see if that might be affecting your operation.

The switch on the handlebar actuall has FIVE positions, let's number them from 1 through 5.
    #1 is to the far left, and is spring loaded to return the button to the #2 position.
    #2 is the position that allows the left signals to flash, but only after the auto-cancel system has been activated by pushing the button to #1.
    #3 will manually cancel the signals
    #4 is the position that allows the right signals to flash, but only after the auto-cancel system has been activated by pushing the button to #5.
    #5 is to the far right, and is spring loaded to return the button to the #4 position.

When the auto-cancel system is activated by pushing the button to either #1 or #5 position, the controller monitors speed and time. It determines when you have gone faster than 10 mph for more than 10 seconds, then turns the signals OFF. The button does not move, the system just turns off. This feature happens in the control unit and a very unique turn signal flasher.

You say that the signals might go off in the middle of a corner. If you turned the signals on about 10 seconds earlier and are moving faster than 10 mph, that is normal. If the signals don't come on when you "flick the switch", make sure you are "flicking" it all the way to either #1 or #5 to activate the control unit. It's also very possible that the contacts in the switch housing are dirty, making inconsistent contact.

The timing of the cancel feature is a compromise, for sure. When simply changing lanes on the highway, I feel that it stays on a bit too long (about 10-12 flashes, I find 7 is usually sufficient), but when making a left turn in town, they are not on long enough. I prefer to let drivers behind me know that I am about to move over to the left turn lane, then slow down for the light. If it is a long left turn lane, I find that the signal will turn off just as I am slowing down, so I have made it a habit to just push the button back over to #1 to restart the cycle. You can sit there all day long with the signal flashing, it will not turn OFF until you have gone faster than 10 mph for more than 10 seconds.

sigpic
    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
    Family Portrait
    Siblings and Spouses
    Mom's first ride
    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Out on bike today checked all above and looks OK was turning left and indicators came on the when I turned the corner the went off I forgot to turn them off straight away then they came on of their own accord and stayed on for a while untill I cancelled them myself.Sprayed contacts in switch gear with wd40 not sure if that was the correct spray to use.This is my third GS gl and never had the problem before or noticed the auto cancellation system before.Conan
      1983 GS 650 gl

1982 GS 850 gl

1980 GS 550L

1982 GS 650 G(KATANA)

Gsx 1400 daily ride

Comment

Working...
      X