Battery Vent Tube

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Battery Vent Tube

The other day I stopped at the gas station, filled up, hit the starter, and BOOM! No power. Checked fuses. Ok. Hmmm. Since I only lived 1km (.62mi), I pushed it. Wasn't too bad as it was flat with some slight downhill. Still, a fuelled up '83 GS1100ESD is over 550lb. After further delving into the situation, I found the problem, a blowed up battery! It appears the battery vent tube was kinked, so the gases built up in the battery. So, take heed, make sure that the vent tube is not kinked, crimped or blocked. Better yet, ditch the stock one and put on the one that comes with the battery. They have small slits in them to act as release in case this happens.

Now the question I have is, who has the right of way on a sidewalk, an insured non-running motorcycle, or a spine-grinder riding his skateboard?
    Attached Files
    Last edited by mcycle-nut; 02-13-2017, 04:24 PM.
    Kevin
    E-Bay: gsmcyclenut
    "Communism doesn't work because people like to own stuff." Frank Zappa

1978 GS750(x2 "projects"), 1983 GS1100ED (slowly becoming a parts bike), 1982 GS1100EZ,
    Now joined the 21st century, 2013 Yamaha XTZ1200 Super Tenere.

Originally posted by mcycle-nut View Post
    The other day I stopped at the gas station, filled up, hit the starter, and BOOM! No power. Checked fuses. Ok. Hmmm. Since I only lived 1km (.62mi), I pushed it. Wasn't too bad as it was flat with some slight downhill. Still, a fuelled up '83 GS1100ESD is over 550lb. After further delving into the situation, I found the problem, a blowed up battery! It appears the battery vent tube was kinked, so the gases built up in the battery. So, take heed, make sure that the vent tube is not kinked, crimped or blocked. Better yet, ditch the stock one and put on the one that comes with the battery. They have small slits in them to act as release in case this happens.

Now the question I have is, who has the right of way on a sidewalk, an insured non-running motorcycle, or a spine-grinder riding his skateboard?
    Glad it didnt blow acid on your legs or something. Thats crazy! Never thought one would blow like that rather than pop the hose off.
    The frame under my battery has a funky rusted spot from the when the PO had it. Won't happen again though now have a sealed battery.
    Roger

Comment

Even better: ... get an AGM battery, use pieces from the old vent tube to hold the nut up so it's easier to install the bolt.

sigpic
      mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
      hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
      #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
      #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
      Family Portrait
      Siblings and Spouses
      Mom's first ride
      Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
      (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Originally posted by mcycle-nut View Post
        the other day i stopped at the gas station, filled up, hit the starter, and boom! No power. Checked fuses. Ok. Hmmm. Since i only lived 1km (.62mi), i pushed it. Wasn't too bad as it was flat with some slight downhill. Still, a fuelled up '83 gs1100esd is over 550lb. After further delving into the situation, i found the problem, a blowed up battery! It appears the battery vent tube was kinked, so the gases built up in the battery. So, take heed, make sure that the vent tube is not kinked, crimped or blocked. Better yet, ditch the stock one and put on the one that comes with the battery. They have small slits in them to act as release in case this happens. Those are the hoses needed,all bikes come with a routing diagram on how to run the vent hose.kinda important besides,blowing up! But seeping down on a $2000 swing arm also gets costly. Dealers are the worse,fill it instead of saturating it,stick it in custoners in a hurry,customers loss there been working at dealers for 35 years there tactics and mine don't always agree.

Now the question i have is, who has the right of way on a sidewalk, an insured non-running motorcycle, or a spine-grinder riding his skateboard?
        right hand i think.
        sigpic 82 gs1100ez 1168 Wiseco,Web .348 Cams,Falicon Sprockets,Star Racing Ported Head,1mm o/s Stainless Valves,APE Springs,Bronze Guides,etc.APE Billet Tensioner,36CV Carbs,Stage 3 Dynojet,Plenum w/K&N filter,Trued,Welded,Balanced,Crank w/Katana rods & Billet left end, FBG backcut trans, VHR HD Clutch basket,APE nut,VHR High volume oil pump gears,1150 Oil cooler,V&H Megaphone header w/Competition baffle,Dyna S,Coils,Wires,etc.Other misc.mods.

Comment

I would feel a bit uncomfortable with the blocked vent explanation until I had eliminated overcharging and/or low electrolyte level.
          The answer to the right of way question is the one with less insurance cover has right of way.
          97 R1100R
          Previous
          80 GS850G, 79 Z400B, 85 R100RT, 80 Z650D, 76 CB200

Comment

Get an AGM battery, you'll never have to worry about it again

Comment

Looked like it got kinked to me. Then again, it didn't look like it sprayed electrolyte all over the place, and it started no problem when I started out. It sounded like the battery had a lot of juice, didn't go rowh, rowh, click, click, after a couple of fast cranks.

kinked vent tube.JPG
              Kevin
              E-Bay: gsmcyclenut
              "Communism doesn't work because people like to own stuff." Frank Zappa

1978 GS750(x2 "projects"), 1983 GS1100ED (slowly becoming a parts bike), 1982 GS1100EZ,
              Now joined the 21st century, 2013 Yamaha XTZ1200 Super Tenere.

Comment

Careful mcycle-nut, you'll get banned for posting kinky pics! Hehehe
                Roger

Comment

As mentioned, better check your charging system since it may be overcharging if your R/R has failed. The ground for the R/R is very poor on some GS bikes and when corrosion sets in the system overcharges and boils out the electrolyte.

I also agree that it seems strange that pressure build up inside the battery would blow out the side before spitting off the breather hose. $hit happens as they say though.
                  Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

I've seen shorted batteries pop the case, never a pressure one.
                    sigpicMrBill Been a GSR member on and off since April 2002
                    1980 GS 750E Bought new in Feb of 1980
                    2015 CAN AM RTS

Stuff I've done to my bike:dancing: 1100E front end with new Sonic springs, 1100E swing arm conversion with new Progressive shocks installed, 530 sprockets/chain conversion, new SS brake lines, new brake pads. New SS fasteners through out. Rebuilt carbs, new EBC clutch springs and horn installed. New paint. Motor runs strong.

Comment

I've never heard of that before. And I would agree with Ed and check your charging system before ridding the bike again. Glad it didn't make a mess.
                      Rob
                      1983 1100ES, 98' ST1100, 02' DR-Z400E and a few other 'bits and pieces'
                      Are you on the GSR Google Earth Map yet? http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=170533

Comment

Working...
                      X