what am i missing here? Just bought 78-79 gs850

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

what am i missing here? Just bought 78-79 gs850

I just bought this bike for $380. It seemed to have decent compression and i figured I could do the rest to get her running.

I knew there was electrical work to be done to it before i purchased, I am not the greatest at it so I bought it so i am able to learn from it.

My first roadblock is the battery box has been taken off which i have but nothing plugged into it. I found the CDI I believe. I am missing the fuse box unless its not located on the battery box and is somewhere else. One of these connections has to be for the regulator. There are 3 wires coming from starter area which maybe are from the stator?

any help would be appreciated!

Thank you, Pics are below I posted on imgur so that i can show all of them instead of just one.

Discover the magic of the internet at Imgur, a community powered entertainment destination. Lift your spirits with funny jokes, trending memes, entertaining gifs, inspiring stories, viral videos, and so much more from users.
    Last edited by Guest; 02-19-2017, 01:44 PM.

You're missing the regulator rectifier which would have been bolted underneath the battery box. As well like you said you're missing the fuse box which would have been bolted to the left side of the battery box. There's actually a metal plate that everything bolts to and the plate bolts to the battery box. Your 850 must be a 79 model as there was no 78 model. If yours has a kick starter then it's a 79. I saw the box you're referring to in one of your pictures, that's for your auto off turn signals, likely doesn't work, very rare to ever see on of those working. There's a simple fix to get your signals working again. That box bolts to the right side of the battery box.
    Last edited by azr; 02-19-2017, 02:08 PM.
    Rob
    1983 1100ES, 98' ST1100, 02' DR-Z400E and a few other 'bits and pieces'
    Are you on the GSR Google Earth Map yet? http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=170533

Comment

First of all, you do NOT have a '78 850, there were not released until '79. Yours might have been a very early one and assembled in '78, but it's still a '79.

Second, you don't have a "CDI". NONE of the GS bike have a CDI, although the ones from '80 on do have transistorized ignitions, it is not CDI.

I believe that on your bike there was just a single fuse, which might not have been on the battery box. I don't have much experience with a '79, so I don't know for sure.

Your three-pin connector would be the wires coming from the stator. They would plug into the rectifier, which would be on the right side of the battery box. The output of the rectifier would go to the regulator, which would then go to the rest of the bike.

I have a couple of battery boxes, would have to compare them to a parts fiche for your bike to see if any of them would fit.

sigpic
      mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
      hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
      #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
      #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
      Family Portrait
      Siblings and Spouses
      Mom's first ride
      Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
      (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Actually check the imgur link again i updated it with another photo. That is the box I am referring to. Whats that if its not a cdi?

Also I apologize, you guys know more it was made in November of 78. But like you guys said it is a 79. It has electric and kick start.

Here what i believe to be the 4 pronged plastic connector goes to, fuse box I check parts diagram. 36740-49X00 http://www.cmsnl.com/gs550d-1980-t_m.../#.WKnkSjsrKUk

Ithere are two fuse boxes from what I am finding. the one mentioned above this one. http://www.ebay.com/itm/GENUINE-SUZU...-/120954829665

Does anyone happen to have a picture of what the left side of the bike is supposed to look like so i can see where exactly everything belongs and maybe i can trace some loose wires back with it?
        Last edited by Guest; 02-19-2017, 04:54 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by andyman54 View Post
          Actually check the imgur link again i updated it with another photo. That is the box I am referring to. Whats that if its not a cdi?
          i do not see a CDi anywhere in your pictures, in fact you have a contact breaker don't you? Take the advice thats been given gs850 where not fitted with a CDi the ones with transistorised ignition where fitted with a igniter unit.

the part you are calling a second fuse box is listed on cmsl here and on the wiring diagram Here it appears to be called a output terminal.
          if you are fitting a new rectifier/regulator do a search on here there is a lot of info on that subject including wiring it to eliminate the handlebar loop.
          Last edited by fastbysuzuki; 02-19-2017, 07:14 PM.
          The big guy up there rides a Suzuki (this I know)
          1981 gs850gx

1999 RF900
          past bikes. RF900
          TL1000s
          Hayabusa
          gsx 750f x2
          197cc Francis Barnett
          various British nails

Comment

Originally posted by fastbysuzuki View Post
            i do not see a CDi anywhere in your pictures, in fact you have a contact breaker don't you? Take the advice thats been given gs850 where not fitted with a CDi the ones with transistorised ignition where fitted with a igniter unit.

the part you are calling a second fuse box is listed on cmsl here and on the wiring diagram Here it appears to be called a output terminal.
            if you are fitting a new rectifier/regulator do a search on here there is a lot of info on that subject including wiring it to eliminate the handlebar loop.
            okay thank you very much, I have ordered all the parts I actually found a battery box that had all the parts I needed for 25 bucks http://www.ebay.com/itm/321551192510...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT I had him take a better side picture to so that i could be sure it was everything that I saw in the parts diagram.

Comment

Update!
              Okay so I got my parts wired up everything . I had my dad help me with the wiring now we couldve done it wrong we used the wiring diagram as best we could. I can take photos later. But when I hooked everything up and tried to start the bike. It sounds like the battery is dead the starter isnt turning as fast as it should.
              The big issue is the red wires going to battery and solenoid are smoking... they get pretty hot. Not entirely sure why.
              Sounds like something is wired wrong right?

Comment

Check this link and download the service manual w/wiring diagram for your bike.

Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Originally posted by Nessism View Post
                  Check this link and download the service manual w/wiring diagram for your bike.

http://members.dslextreme.com/users/bikecliff/
                  I do have that thanks! To the best of my knowledge I wired it according to the diagram but i guess ill have to go over it again. Ill post photos shortly when I get home

Edit : Here are pictures. Any criticism is welcome. Thank you!

My thinking right now is two things could be going on the starter could be bad and pulling to much current and or my connections aren't good in that area and causing to much resistance hence smoking wires/hot wires.
                  I have a neutral light, no fuse is popped. The wires only heat when I try to start the bike with starter. Just sitting there with ignition on they are fine. Am I thinking correct?

Discover the magic of the internet at Imgur, a community powered entertainment destination. Lift your spirits with funny jokes, trending memes, entertaining gifs, inspiring stories, viral videos, and so much more from users.
                  Last edited by Guest; 02-24-2017, 08:56 AM.

Comment

Working...
                  X