Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rotor gouge

Hi All,
    I have a 1982 gs850g. I have to change the stator and while removing stator I saw a gouge in rotor. In checking the stator I see where a piece of the stator shifted and moved. Because of the gouge in the rotor should I change it or will it still function properly. The gouge in the rotor is in one spot?
    Thanks..

??
    Thanks.

Picture not showing up.

1980 GS1000GT (Daily rider with a 1983 1100G engine)
    1998 Honda ST1100 (Daily long distance rider)
    1982 GS850GLZ (Daily rider when the weather is crap)

Darn, with so many daily riders it's hard to decide which one to jump on next.

JTGS850GL aka Julius

GS Resource Greetings

Comment

Look for cause of this gouge...maybe a screw got between rotor and stator. Go fishing with a magnet- make sure the stator wire clamp screw is still in place.
      1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

There are no missing screws, what I need to know is if I can still use the rotor..

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Shaw View Post
          There are no missing screws, what I need to know is if I can still use the rotor..
          Try sending pic again- you need to make sure that the embeded rotor magnets won't come loose
          1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

I'm going to be on the safe side and replace it. If there was a loose screw or nut it would have chewed up more than what has been done. This is the first time I had the stator out due to charging issues. I've had the bike for eight years who knows when this happened. Thanks for your help, I appreciate it.

Comment

No way we're going to be able to help you without a working pic.

JTGS850GL aka Julius

GS Resource Greetings

Comment

OK, I'll try to send a picture.

Comment

OK I have the pix but how do I download them to this site?

Comment

Upload the picture to a hosting site, then copy the IMG link and paste it in your message.

No need to click on any icons here or anything else, just paste the IMG link.

If you have more than one picture, at least make sure you press ENTER between the links.
                    Better yet, press ENTER twice, it will give a blank line between the pictures.

sigpic
                    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                    Family Portrait
                    Siblings and Spouses
                    Mom's first ride
                    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

I'm trying to cut and paste the pix but no luck. By this you can tell how computer savvy I am.

Comment

You don't cut and paste the actual picture. You host the picture on a site like imageshack.com or tinypic.com and cut and paste the link to the picture here.

JTGS850GL aka Julius

GS Resource Greetings

Comment

OK, I'll try that.

Comment

I can't see a photo either, but how deep a gouge are we talking about here?

The rotor is a really thick piece of cleverly magnetized steel, and unless it's been somehow gouged out to the point where it's in danger of falling in two pieces (you would need some serious tooling to do this on a lathe, let alone inside a running engine), I can't imagine how it would cause a problem.

You should do your best to account for the remains of the screw or whatever caused the issue and the shavings created -- I would definitely drop the oil pan and clean the oil pan and strainer screen.
                            1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
                            2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
                            2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
                            Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

I sent the pics and apparently they did not get through. The gouge is about 1/8" right at the seam where two plates meet.

Comment

Working...
                              X