Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

check your ground connection before doing anything else !

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

check your ground connection before doing anything else !

After hunting this forum for help with my own "lazy" starter, I realized how many folks are checking the ground wire - last -.
    You should check it FIRST. It is just as important as the "hot" starter wire !
    I have much experience with this... too much...
    bad ground from battery to frame cost me 2 sets of igniter boxes on a VT750C, ( $250) (it blew out the circuitry)
    and I replaced a starter, then battery on my Ranger... (another wasted $200)
    all because the battery ground wire-to-frame connection was loose (Ford) / corroded (Honda).

Hope this helps someone save time and $.

Pete

1980 GS1000G - The Beast - GOING... GOING... yup, it's gone. I'm bikeless !!! GAaaahh !!!
    1978 KZ1000C1 Police - GONE !
    1983 GPZ750, aka ZX750A1 - restored, fresh paint... Gave it back, it was a loaner !!!
    Check My Albums for some of the 30+ headaches I've dealt with

I know -JUST- enough to make me REALLY dangerous !

See GS Charging System health

Comment

Most bikes will have a ground wire to the engine cases only, then rely on the engine mounts to transfer the ground to the chassis. It's a good idea to run a second ground wire from the engine grounding bolt to somewhere on the chassis to ensure you have good ground everywhere.
      Current:
      Z1300A5 Locomotive (swapped my Intruder for it), GS450 Cafe Project (might never finish it....), XT500 Commuter (I know - it's a Yamaha :eek:)

Past:
      VL1500 Intruder (swapped for Z1300), ZX9R Streetfighter (lets face it - too fast....), 1984 GSX750EF, 1984 GSX1100EF (AKA GS1150)
      And a bunch of other crap Yamahas....

Comment

Cool links.
        Originally posted by hillsy View Post
        Most bikes will have a ground wire to the engine cases only, then rely on the engine mounts to transfer the ground to the chassis. It's a good idea to run a second ground wire from the engine grounding bolt to somewhere on the chassis to ensure you have good ground everywhere.
        On my list now. (again) Thanks.
        I Replied because this part:
        ...on my Ranger...

Had a bad ground to the body on my F-150. Issue with both the ranger and f-150 was the starter solenoids on the fender went bad more than once each. started thinking of leaving a spare solenoid in the console someplace...thing I've noticed though is IF the battery isn't strapped in TIGHT, the cables tug/yank on the solenoid...I recently fabricated a hot water heater's giant stainless hose clamp thing into an extra battery strap to prevent the battery sliding loose...Think it will help the problem IMO...Maybe just defective aftermarket stuff don't know. No more loose battery though.

Comment

Working...
        X