Wiring harness

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wiring harness

Not sure if this is in the correct sub-forum or not. My rebuild is a 1981 GS850GLX. In 1983, it was put away dirty in a small outdoor shed where it sat with no maintenance until last year when I got it for free. I've been riding since 1968. I've owned and fixed many bikes but this is only my third rebuild in my 61 years on the planet. I've learned nothing at all if I haven't learned that electrics drives me nuts. Chasing wires isn't a fun day. So...with this rebuild, I'm not even starting down that road. My plan is to just buy a wiring harness from the get-go rather than play with old brittle wires can easily break if bent enough. The thing is that I'm having trouble finding a source for a new harness. I swear I had several sources a few months ago when I did a search so I didn't bookmark them...ugh. Does anyone know of a source for a wiring harness? Is there such a thing? Thanks

Have you tested your wires to see if they really are brittle? The wires in my '80 850, my son's '80 1000G, my wife's '82 850L and my other son's '82 650L are all still rather supple and I have never considered having to replace them. I realize there are differences in storage conditions and can not guarantee how these bikes have spent most of their lives. They have only been with me for the last 5-10 years.

Probably more important than having new wires is having the proper connectors and the tool to put them on. Both of those are available from Vintage Connections at reasonable prices.

Last edited by Steve; 03-03-2017, 10:42 AM.
    sigpic
    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
    Family Portrait
    Siblings and Spouses
    Mom's first ride
    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

I understand where you're coming from but, like I said, I'm not going down that road. Been there and done that more than once. My mind set is the cost of a wire harness is worth it for me if I don't have to spend time and energy (both are in short supply) chasing wires which usually screw with me at the most inopportune time. I have connectors source and all the (good) tools needed. What I don't have is a reliable harness or source for a harness. I know of Sparck Moto but they're more of a custom maker, not OEM.

Comment

Well, they are no longer available from Suzuki. Good luck with your search.

sigpic
        Family Portrait
        Siblings and Spouses
        Mom's first ride
        Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)

Comment

GS1100E harness is still available - I'd be tempted to adapt that one and change plugs on the few non compatible connections - Ive done that on my frankenstein bike -

1100E engine /750E frame/1150 instruments /Honda switchgear and the usual SH775 R/R mod
          78 GS1000C- Now sporting 1100E suspension and numerous goodies
          82 GS750E/82 1100E/ GSXR Frankenstein bike completed
          83 1100E "rescue bike" saved from the barn
          2008 Bking - Torque Torque Torque
          Next project slowly coalescing

Comment

Thanks bsharpish. You're right. OEMs are still available for the 82 and 83 1100E. That's definitely a consideration.

I double checked eBay and see a guy in Finland selling a new 1981 GS850G wiring harness. (Don't know how I missed it before) It's not the GL part number. Not sure what the differences are - electrically - between the G and GL but it can't be that drastic.

I think you may be onto something bsharpish.

Comment

Originally posted by BadMonk View Post
              Not sure what the differences are - electrically - between the G and GL but it can't be that drastic.
              Hang on to that glimmer of hope.

The stuff right around the battery in the middle of the bike will be similar, but that's about it.
              The gauges are different.
              The connections to the handlebar switches are different.
              The tail/brake light is different.
              The rear turn signals are different.

Other than that, it will be a piece of cake.

sigpic
              Family Portrait
              Siblings and Spouses
              Mom's first ride

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
                Hang on to that glimmer of hope.

The stuff right around the battery in the middle of the bike will be similar, but that's about it.
                The gauges are different.
                The connections to the handlebar switches are different.
                The tail/brake light is different.
                The rear turn signals are different.

Other than that, it will be a piece of cake.

It is all just copper wire;what is the big deal?

Comment

That's a lot of differences...LOL. Thanks very much, Steve. All the differences I found in my research had me believing the 'structural'differences wouldn't flow into electrics all that much. Well, assuming can be dangerous.

So it seems to me that you probably know these bikes inside and out. For the $64,000 question: Are there many differences between the 850GLX and the 1100E?

Comment

Even more different than the 850G to be sure

as others have suggested I'd take a long hard look at your existing loom first - Ive had some that were rotten with heavily oxidized wires (like bright green), others with very cracked insulation and some (My 78 GS1000) which were like new.

I understand your thoughts as I replaced the loom on mine despite having to change the connections for instruments , switchgear etc ..... My reasoning - if the foundations of the electrical systems (harness, RR,Stator, CDI) are solid the rest is just fine tuning

Comment

Originally posted by bsharpish View Post

I understand your thoughts as I replaced the loom on mine despite having to change the connections for instruments , switchgear etc ..... My reasoning - if the foundations of the electrical systems (harness, RR,Stator, CDI) are solid the rest is just fine tuning
                      Assuming the harness wires as not all corroded (green and stiff)under the insulation, then generally the wire is still very serviceable. If the wires are serviceable, then you look to the condition of the connectors. Generally they can be replaced or just cleaned, but most important is to clean and treat the contacts with deoxit/dielectric grease.

That said the most important contacts are for the charging system between the R/R and the battery, stator and grounds. Most of this from the factory is inferior and needs to be changed as per the recommendations.

If the harness has been hacked, then you need to be able to restore and confirm what ever modifications those are. That is certainly easier that converting a harness from a different bike or building one from scratch. I would guess 95% of harnesses can be salvaged. Find the best used one you can(if they are not available new), and recondition it as described. If you have to, remove all the tape and rewrap it.

There are people that do a complete rewired harnesses, and that is fine, but it is way too much work for minimal gain if you just follow the basics outlined above.

Comment

I'd add mine was both hacked, partially melted due to RR issues and green/brittle - bike still ran great though !!!!

Comment

Originally posted by BadMonk View Post
                          For the $64,000 question: Are there many differences between the 850GLX and the 1100E?
                          Re-read my post #7.

If you want some details:
                          - The rear turn signals on the L have long lead wires that go to connectors on the main harness that are near the battery box. On the G and E bikes (that have covered tail sections), the signal leads are much shorter and connect to the harness near the tail light.
                          - Same thing for the tail light. L model has leads long enough to reach to near the battery box, G and E has short leads that plug in to different connectors right there.
                          - Different connectors. The L lights use individual bullet connectors. The G and E tail lights use a 3-pin connector, the signals still use bullets.
                          - The headlight bucket on the L is smaller, so some of the multi-pin connectors are found under the tank. The headlight connector then extends into the bucket. On the G and E harnesses, the connectors are in the headlight bucket, the headlight connector has leads about 6" long to reach the back of the bulb.
                          - The gauges themselves are different, they use different connectors.

Several other differences, these are just the ones that will make you wonder if it was any easier to get a new harness that you WILL still have to adapt.

By the way, what year 1100E? The '80/'81 harness is different than the '82/'83 harness, which will make things even more interesting.

sigpic
                          Family Portrait
                          Siblings and Spouses
                          Mom's first ride

Comment

Thanks. That's what I assumed but wasn't sure.

I've had the 850 down to the crank and now reassembling it. The harness looks its age, esp at the connector ends. I'll probably have to get out my magnifying glass and run thru each wire. Maybe its workable and enough is salvageable.

How are OEM coils on these bikes generally speaking? My last rebuild was a ZN1100 Kawi and the coils - even brand new from the factory - were nothing to write home about.

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
                              Re-read my post #7.

By the way, what year 1100E? The '80/'81 harness is different than the '82/'83 harness, which will make things even more interesting.

Alright, if I had $64,000 then I'd give it to you. Unfortunately for you, I don't...LOL.

Well now the only 1100E harnesses that I found available are the 82/83s. Couldn't find an 81. The glimmer of hope is getting dimmer...

Sparck Moto will put together a harness ... for $300 (cough, cough). I read good things about them but ... gee. There are a couple others out there but I'll probably end up sitting at my table with my wife's jeweler's glass sorting thru the wires to see what's there and what-not.

Thanks for all the help guys. I really appreciate it!

Comment

Working...
                              X