Nippon Denso or Kokusan Densi ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Nippon Denso or Kokusan Densi ?

I have a GS 550 motor and worked out it was a 1980 model. ( I think) I am looking to upgrade to a Dyna S ignition system and assumed it would be Nippon Denso that needs replacing with the Dyna S DS3-2, however looking at the points on the ignition plate they have two screws attaching them which I think is a Kokusan Densi ignition. I am now confused. Is there a fail safe way to tell what Dyna S will fit. I think they have different length rotors. Not really sure about how check and get the correct fitment, as maybe the ignition was retro fitted. I bought the engine as a non runner. Any advice would be gratefully received.

Read this link from Basscliff's site

1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Read the link, thanks. I am now sure it is the KD type advance unit. But, it seems odd that it is on a 1980 engine. I was wondering if there is any way of telling which ignition should be fitted from the crank. I need to ascertain the correct system to fit as the KD may be a retro/incorrect fit and my motor may need the ND style Dyna set up. If you see what I mean!!!

Comment

Have a good look at the bob weights on the mechanical advance unit. Nipping Denso has ND stamped in a circle, Kocosan Densi has not. If you have any confusion send me a picture and I'll tell you what you have.
        My bikes 79 GS1000 1085 checked and approved by stator the GSR mascot and 77 GS750 with 850 top end, GS850g, and my eldest sons 78 GS550, youngest sons GS125. Project bike 79 GS1000N

Comment

20170307_191140.jpg Nippon denso ignition, have a look at the advancer spring on right side. The ND logo is near the top pin, also its above the left set of points. Note the way the condenser's are mounted, Kokosan denki are not like that.
          Last edited by uk gs nut; 03-07-2017, 03:50 PM.
          My bikes 79 GS1000 1085 checked and approved by stator the GSR mascot and 77 GS750 with 850 top end, GS850g, and my eldest sons 78 GS550, youngest sons GS125. Project bike 79 GS1000N

Comment

I have finally worked out it is a KD ignition on a 1980 GS550. Thanks for all the help

Comment

Working...
            X