Wire identification help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wire identification help

I tried looking at the wiring diagram, but couldn't figure out exactly what it does. Looks like it ties into the oil pressure and the kickstand circuits... just want to know more about its actual function.

you picture is not coming up, but all wires are color coded and can be found in the manual.

Comment

Green wire with white tracer and a green wire with a yellow tracer. They seem to be connected with a diode inside the headlight assembly. Wiring diagram simply says DIODE and it appears to be linked into the kickstand and the oil pressure wiring...

Comment

"Wiring diagram simply says DIODE"

wonderful things diodes...only allow current to flow in one direction. Looks like in this case, they can turn on a warning light if your bike is running and your kickstand is down. Wish I had one as I've exited gas station without checkng! you looking at this wiring diagram?

http://members.dslextreme.com/users/bikecliff/images/GS1100G_1982_wiring.jpg
        Last edited by tom203; 03-11-2017, 05:15 PM.
        1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

The diode is there to control operation of the side stand light and the oil pressure light. If the side stand is down, only the side stand light will be on, but if oil pressure is low, BOTH lights will be on, hoping that might catch your attention sooner.

You can verify proper operation easily. With side stand UP and engine running, put the side stand down, just that light will come on. Put the stand back up, use the "kill" switch to turn the engine off, BOTH lights should come on.

sigpic
          mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
          hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
          #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
          #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
          Family Portrait
          Siblings and Spouses
          Mom's first ride
          Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
          (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Thanks! Glad I now know what it does.

Comment

Working...
            X