No announcement yet.

turn signal question #1,000,006

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

You are trying to drive an led bulb in the gauge set I presume which typically only takes about 10-20 amps. So any diode that will safely carry that as a forward current. Every one you mention seems fine. The bigger issue is how are you going to mount it so the wires going great off. Usually that means get something big and husky so you can solder wires right to it and bury into harness.

nice schematic by the way. It warms my cockles to be seeing more and more people real using they need some type of diagram.

Comment

Originally posted by posplayr View Post
      You are trying to drive an led bulb in the gauge set I presume which typically only takes about 10-20 amps. So any diode that will safely carry that as a forward current. Every one you mention seems fine. The bigger issue is how are you going to mount it so the wires going great off. Usually that means get something big and husky so you can solder wires right to it and bury into harness.

nice schematic by the way. It warms my cockles to be seeing more and more people real using they need some type of diagram.
      Cut and stripped the green wire and black wire and wrapped them around the leads of the diodes... it works!
      Now to solder the wires to the leads and cover with heat shrink tubing. I think I will use small heat shrink on either side of the diode to cover the soldered connections and then larger diameter heat shrink to cover the whole thing.

Comment

Here is a pic of the diodes being soldered in line.... heat shrink in place
        Attached Files

Comment

Another pic with the heat shrink.... seems fairy robust.
          Attached Files

Comment

Cool.

Don't forget to show us pictures of the whole bike.
            #1: 1979 GS 550 EC "Red" – Very first Bike / Overhaul thread        New here? ☛ Read the Top 10 Newbie mistakes thread
            #2: 1978 GS 550 EC "Blue" – Can't make it a donor / "Rebuild" thread     Manuals (and much more): See Cliff's homepage here
            #3: 2014 Moto Guzzi V7 II Racer – One needs a runner while wrenching
            #4: 1980 Moto Guzzi V65C – Something to chill

Comment

Originally posted by posplayr View Post
              You are trying to drive an led bulb in the gauge set I presume which typically only takes about 10-20 amps.
              I do think he means milli-amps, since we are only driving one LED.

sigpic
              mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
              hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
              #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
              #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
              Family Portrait
              Siblings and Spouses
              Mom's first ride
              Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
              (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Originally posted by roeme View Post
                Cool.

Don't forget to show us pictures of the whole bike.
                That's probably a subject for another thread in a different category but since you asked...
                Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                X