Possibly Need New Coils?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Possibly Need New Coils?

Hello again, I fixed my last problem and a new one occurred.

I have a 1978 Gs750E that I've been working on for the past few months, and I believe it's running on stock coils, and it's battery is bad, but I have been trying to wait till spring until buying a new battery.

Anyways the problem with the bike is that it's not firing in cylinder #1 anymore, at least I don't think it is. The bike was running (very poorly), and 3 of the four headers were getting hot/warm (this was today, 3/13/17), but this one cylinder. A few months back that wire broke and I thought I repaired it (it worked after i fixed it). Now it's a problem.

Would you fellas recommend that I buy a battery and coils, or just one at a time to diagnose. Either way I need to buy a battery, and coils now. Or do you think it could be another problem.

It used to run awesome a couple months ago, then it sat. Now it cannot reach high rpm's etc.

Lastly, what would you recommend I use for the coils and battery. I don't know anything about the coils, besides dyna S (it had an electronic ignition put in before I bought it, so no points)... I also was thinking about getting a bikemaster Trugel battery, or any ol' bikemaster 12v lead acid battery.

Thanks and I apologize if I'm all over the place and confusing

Okay I'm a doofus and I guess I was wrong with the broken wire problem. I think I may have had a connection issue between the spark plug and the wire on c #1, because it's getting power. I'm going to replace the battery, and see what happens from there. I know I should probably do the coils anyways, but it'll be next on the list. Any tips will still be appreciated.

Comment

Did you do, and follow the carb rebuild correctly? I know before I did I thought I was having electrical problems too!

Comment

Also I got a battery tender lithium ion battery off Amazon two years ago and I love it! A little more pricey but last four times as long with no maintenance. And save you 10 pounds.

Comment

I did follow the guide, but it's possible that I missed something. I'll take another look once I throw a fresh battery on the bike, and I'll also verify my charging system.

Comment

I do highly recommend the battery tender lithium ion battery, they're a little pricey but well worth it

Comment

Get a new battery . Get new plug caps ($5 each) remove old plug caps,cut back plug wire about 1/4 inch (to expose new copper) before you put on new caps.

have you checked your valve clearances?
              did you notice this stuff about common mistakes?

1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

New battery is on the way, and I'll definitely try the caps before buying the whole thing. I have done the valve clearance. This website has been a huge help, and I found my problem too. For some reason I gapped my spark plugs WAY too much. I may have misread something. I regapped them and boom, it sounds amazing, no lag or anything. I have not been able to ride this bike yet and I'm definitely going to finally get it registered and insured within the week.

It rains a lot in Oregon so I have a bit of time lol

Thanks!

Comment

Glad you got it sorted and posted the solution.
                  Too many times we forget to do the follow-ups.
                  2@ \'78 GS1000

Comment

Working...
                  X