C5 Technology interesting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

C5 Technology interesting

Just saw this and was reading their website, anyone seen this before or have tried it? http://www.c5ignitions.com/c5-technology.html
    sigpicMrBill Been a GSR member on and off since April 2002
    1980 GS 750E Bought new in Feb of 1980
    2015 CAN AM RTS

Stuff I've done to my bike:dancing: 1100E front end with new Sonic springs, 1100E swing arm conversion with new Progressive shocks installed, 530 sprockets/chain conversion, new SS brake lines, new brake pads. New SS fasteners through out. Rebuilt carbs, new EBC clutch springs and horn installed. New paint. Motor runs strong.

I wonder if this gets rid of the ignitor as well? If so, it might help out those whose ignitor dies since they are so hard to find
    Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
    1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
    2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
    Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
    and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

It will be interesting to hear the heavies weigh in on this.
      "Thought he, it is a wicked world in all meridians; I'll die a pagan."
      ~Herman Melville

2016 1200 Superlow
      1982 CB900f

Comment

Originally posted by cowboyup3371 View Post
        I wonder if this gets rid of the ignitor as well? If so, it might help out those whose ignitor dies since they are so hard to find

This system has been around a while. I haven't installed one yet, but everything other than the doofy business about the three sparks seems to make sense.

Yes, it gets rid of the ignitor -- it's a complete electronic ignition system with coils and wires. Everything is contained in the pickup and parts that go under the ignition cover.

One of the reasons they have a kit for the GS250-450 is in fact that these bikes have an ignitor that is prone to crapping out and Dyna doesn't make a replacement.

To me, Dyna's quality is a little questionable. I haven't installed that many Dyna ignitions, but I've already seen three kits that had defective modules. Once you get a Dyna kit that works (and doesn't crap out when it gets hot), they've generally proven quite reliable. I'm guessing that they've fixed these QC problems by now, but I don't know.

The cost is an issue compared to the plain-jane Dyna kits. Compared to anything else with any degree of programmability, it's a about the same.

A C5 GS850 kit is $439, which includes the ignition, coils, and spark plug wires.

A complete Dyna S GS850 setup (Dyna S, coils, and wires) is right at $301.

However, the C5 kit is more comparable to the programmable Dyna 2000, which includes a programmable ignition and coils (but no wires) at $425. Wires are another $18 or so for a total of $443. The Dyna does depend on a magnetic pickup, which is less precise.
        1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
        2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
        2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
        Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

Working...
        X