GS750 no start

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GS750 no start

Been having some trouble with this one and I feel it's simple, but I can't seem to get this thing fired up. Bike was running well for two years, however it had some bad leaks from the carbs overflowing. I adjusted the float bowl height, cleaned the carbs meticulously, installed new air boots, new battery, new plugs, new valve cover gasket (old one was leaking) and rebuilt the petcock because it was leaking.

The bike sat all winter and the battery was no good come spring so I went down to local motorsports store and replaced it. This morning I checked for spark at all four plugs by removing the plug and grounding out on the rad fins - I reconfirmed that each wire was correct from the dizzy to its respectable cylinder - I could see a healthy spark at all four plugs.

The starter just cranks and it doesn't even want to sputter. What am I missing!!

Thanks all!

Fuel?......
    Rob
    1983 1100ES, 98' ST1100, 02' DR-Z400E and a few other 'bits and pieces'
    Are you on the GSR Google Earth Map yet? http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=170533

Comment

"... cleaned the carbs meticulously,.........and rebuilt the petcock because it was leaking. "

Were the carbs cleaned just before this problem developed? And how did you clean them? Sounds like the choke system is not "enriching" as you crank. My bike will not cold start without a functioning "choke" system.
      What year is this 750?

did you check petcock for correct operation? Petcock rebuilds are an iffy proposition.
      1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Cleaned the carbs then let it sit all winter?

You might need to clean them again if they had fuel in them.
        Current:
        Z1300A5 Locomotive (swapped my Intruder for it), GS450 Cafe Project (might never finish it....), XT500 Commuter (I know - it's a Yamaha :eek:)

Past:
        VL1500 Intruder (swapped for Z1300), ZX9R Streetfighter (lets face it - too fast....), 1984 GSX750EF, 1984 GSX1100EF (AKA GS1150)
        And a bunch of other crap Yamahas....

Comment

Originally posted by theinsuranceguy View Post
          ... I checked for spark at all four plugs by removing the plug and grounding out on the rad fins - I reconfirmed that each wire was correct from the dizzy to its respectable cylinder ...
          You have "rad fins" AND a "dizzy"? You sure you are working on a GS?

sigpic
          mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
          hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
          #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
          #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
          Family Portrait
          Siblings and Spouses
          Mom's first ride
          Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
          (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Did you reconnect the vacuum tube to the petcock? I forgot to do this once on my GS750 and was all upset that the bike wouldn't start after putting the carbs back on. I was cranking and kicking and itching my head and once I reconnected that tube it fired right up.
            1980/1981 GS450 - GS500 Cylinder + Piston Swap - "De-L'ed", custom seat, CB350 bits, 18" rear, etc.
            1977 GS550
            1977 GS750 - Cross country trip thread

Comment

Originally posted by tom203 View Post
              "... cleaned the carbs meticulously,.........and rebuilt the petcock because it was leaking. "

Were the carbs cleaned just before this problem developed? And how did you clean them? Sounds like the choke system is not "enriching" as you crank. My bike will not cold start without a functioning "choke" system.
              What year is this 750?

did you check petcock for correct operation? Petcock rebuilds are an iffy proposition.
              Ya I saw that he did that, but it doesn't mean the spark plugs were getting fuel. Keep in mind the bike only needs 3 things to run well, fuel, spark and air. Sounds like the spark thing is working, move on to the next... I am assuming you primed the carbs before trying to start it after sitting so long.
              Rob
              1983 1100ES, 98' ST1100, 02' DR-Z400E and a few other 'bits and pieces'
              Are you on the GSR Google Earth Map yet? http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=170533

Comment

The year of this bike is 1977. I have a clear fuel filter and the petcock in the open position fills that unit pretty quick. I unscrewed one of the float boat drains yesterday to check for fuel in the float and it was dripping out when unscrewed it a little.

Comment

I did reconnect the vacuum to the petcock. Is there a decent vacuum diagram out there that shows where the vacuum line connects to on the carbs? I'm pretty sure its in the right spot however I want to make sure. Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
                    You have "rad fins" AND a "dizzy"? You sure you are working on a GS?

Excuse my vocab. Engine cooling fins and ignition coil. Old VW engine engines are on my mind sometimes.

Comment

Originally posted by azr View Post
                      Ya I saw that he did that, but it doesn't mean the spark plugs were getting fuel. Keep in mind the bike only needs 3 things to run well, fuel, spark and air. Sounds like the spark thing is working, move on to the next... I am assuming you primed the carbs before trying to start it after sitting so long.
                      I did not prime the carbs. Is there a proper procedure on how to do this?

Comment

Switch the petcock to `Prime' for a few seconds to allow fuel to flow freely and fill up the bowls. Just don't forget to put it back to `On' afterwards.

Did you check the vacuum tube? If it's not hooked up to the petcock or plugged with something it is drawing a lot of plain old air into the system and will make it hard to start.
                        Last edited by sam000lee; 03-30-2017, 01:34 PM.
                        1980/1981 GS450 - GS500 Cylinder + Piston Swap - "De-L'ed", custom seat, CB350 bits, 18" rear, etc.
                        1977 GS550
                        1977 GS750 - Cross country trip thread

Comment

Vacuum line from the petcock goes to the port on #3 carb.

Your old VWs had radiator fins?! Just messing with you...
                          Jordan

1977 Suzuki GS750 (My first bike)
                          2000 Kawasaki ZRX1100
                          1973 BMW R75/5

Comment

Originally posted by theinsuranceguy View Post
                            I did reconnect the vacuum to the petcock. Is there a decent vacuum diagram out there that shows where the vacuum line connects to on the carbs? I'm pretty sure its in the right spot however I want to make sure. Thanks.
                            This might help.
                            2@ \'78 GS1000

Comment

Originally posted by steve murdoch View Post
                              I confirmed all connections are in their proper locations. This was an awesome diagram though. Thank you.

Comment

Working...
                              X