Simple ground question.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Simple ground question.

Not going to get in depth of what I did .
    Southern comfort may or may not have been involved during this time while the bike was in winter storage.

Need to know the original ground lug terminal locations.

I have 4 in the battery area.
    One went to the bolt that mounts the battery box between the tank and battery.
    One went to the mounting bolt for the starter solenoid.
    One went from the negative battery terminal to a bolt on the back of the engine.

The third is where I cannot remember. The ground wire coming off the R/R. Where does that bolt to?

Thank you in advance

1980 GS850G

Originally posted by Kjpeter View Post
    Not going to get in depth of what I did .
    Southern comfort may or may not have been involved during this time while the bike was in winter storage.

Need to know the original ground lug terminal locations.

I have 4 in the battery area.
    One went to the bolt that mounts the battery box between the tank and battery.
    One went to the mounting bolt for the starter solenoid.
    One went from the negative battery terminal to a bolt on the back of the engine.

The third is where I cannot remember. The ground wire coming off the R/R. Where does that bolt to?

Thank you in advance

1980 GS850G
    Mine goes directly to the - side of the battery.
    sigpicMrBill Been a GSR member on and off since April 2002
    1980 GS 750E Bought new in Feb of 1980
    2015 CAN AM RTS

Stuff I've done to my bike 1100E front end with new Sonic springs, 1100E swing arm conversion with new Progressive shocks installed, 530 sprockets/chain conversion, new SS brake lines, new brake pads. New SS fasteners through out. Rebuilt carbs, new EBC clutch springs and horn installed. New paint. Motor runs strong.

Comment

In stock condition it went under one of the RR mounting bolts. Probably not where you want it though. Search for single point ground....
      sigpic
      09 Kaw C14 Rocket powered Barcalounger
      1983 GS1100e
      82\83 1100e Frankenbike
      1980 GS1260
      Previous 65 Suzuki 80 Scrambler, 76 KZ900, 02 GSF1200S, 81 GS1100e, 80 GS850G

Comment

Originally posted by bobgroger View Post
        In stock condition it went under one of the RR mounting bolts. Probably not where you want it though. Search for single point ground....
        That is fine if his battery wire goes to the same place. Adding the harness groudn to same spot (i.e. SPG) is not a bad idea either.

Comment

Grounds are back to where they should be. Cleaned all the grounds and fuse holders. Replaced the stator connections and R/R + connections with spade terminals. Removed the unnecessary stator loop to the handlebars. Added a wire from the battery negative directly to the R/R and tied in the R/R ground to that.

Bike now has the correct charging volts.

Thank you for your feedback!

Comment

Working...
          X